Did I go with the wrong bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Did I go with the wrong bike?

ORIGINAL: sinkoman

You guys always talk about how dumb and biased Iowaguy is, and I believed you guys for a good bit of time. Especially on the "rider skill means nothing in motocross" remark.

But the more and more I read of his posts, the more and more I realize that he's quite right in most regards. I watched a motocross event on tv the other day (only time i've done so, I never really had much interest in motocross), and finally realized that he was right. It had absolutely nothing to do with skill, and everything to do with cranking the throttle and just holding on. Nothing like woods riding.

And the more and more I read of his oppinion on the KLX, the more and more I see that, while his oppinion is rather abrasive, it's true. The KLX is a bit of a pitiful bike in stock trim. Sure, it handles pretty damn well for a dual sport and will give you a good bit of fun, but the power output is freaking PATHETIC.

I say give him a break. Sure, he's not always the nicest of folks, and some of the things he says can be overly abrasive and at times, down right rude, but at the heart of it all, he's right!

I dunno guys, the Big Guns are starting to look mighty tasty over the Muzzys

K, time for a question. IG, how "throwable" would you say the DRZ was over the KLX?

And is it possible to get a 250 cylinder bored to 331? That seems to be a lot more "bang for your buck" than a pipe and a rejet.

Does anybody have any numbers on their Muzzy vs stock exhaust?
What??? Pathetic power output???? RU Insane???? In stock trim it's designed to get you to the trails and then do quite well on them. It does both as promised! It will do 70 comfortably on the freeway and is geared nice for riding trails. What a perfect combination! What a great piece of engineering. Did you even break it in yet? Get a damn YZ250 if you want an insane dirt bike. This is a dual sport! Get it through your head.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I love my YZ125

Old 08-30-2007, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Gerry - don't stroke IG too much, there will be hell to pay later!

Old 08-30-2007, 02:01 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I think power is relative. Relative to what you rode before the KLX, relative to ever riding a bike, and yes relative to the expectations that other people have said be it positive or negative. I will say that even bone stock I loved my KLX. Who cares if its not a KLX 300 or even a race bike. I didn't buy it to race or even do 50 on the trails. I didn't buy the KLX so I could fly down the highway at 120 mph. I bought the bike like a lot of guys because I wanted to get back into riding after a lot of years. I bought the bike because I wanted to explore the trails that I rode on 30 years ago. I bought the bike because I wanted to ride the streets, trails and fire roads.

Guess what? Everything I bought the bike for has met or exceeded my expectations. Its all in what you want. And I for one want to continue to have fun riding, sharing great stuff here on the forums, and most of all I want everyone to be happy with the choices they made in buying this bike. If you're not happy with the bike, you have two choices, do some of the mods or buy another bike and move on, its that simple.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Q: Would I be better off with a DRZ 400sin tight, slippery, wet, muddy trails than a KLX 250s?
A: NO!

With the added weight and size of the DRZ, they are only in the high 20's low 30's in HP anyway. They arn't a haulin A$$ machine either, you'd be doing mods to it as well to get it the way you want it.
I'm 21, I ain't an old guy. I've been thinkin of upgrading to a new bike too. But I think I have decided on spending my money instead on a future 330cc big bore, exhaust, and rejets.

Stick with the KLX, it'sthe best all-round bike you can get if you ask me

Old 08-30-2007, 02:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I think it is Sinkoman that was stroking him. I'm the one ranting at people who knock the KLX 250 when it is not justified.[sm=bicker.gif] It's great for what it was designed to do. I think we should hold a 50/50 race. 50 % trail and 50% street. I bet some klx 250's would come in in the top 10. Even maybe some stock ones.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:12 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

+1

Old 08-30-2007, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

You can ride on the streets at age 15 in HI?
It is legal in many states to ride a motorcycle of l25cc or less on public roads at age 14 with a license. I started earlier on rural farm roads but, then again I was driving myself 16 miles each way to the farm on public roads in my dads pickup when I was in grade school. Ignorance is bliss doing 70MPH on a 55MPH road waving to a passing highway patrolman ... [sm=burnout.gif]

Old 08-30-2007, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gerrynolan]What??? Pathetic power output???? RU Insane???? In stock trim it's designed to get you to the trails and then do quite well on them. It does both as promised! It will do 70 comfortably on the freeway and is geared nice for riding trails. What a perfect combination! What a great piece of engineering. Did you even break it in yet? Get a damn YZ250 if you want an insane dirt bike. This is a dual sport! Get it through your head.
The power output would be just fine if this bike weighed as much as a TTR250, but it doesn't.

I've broken it in just fine, as I said, 500mi and counting. She's loosened up considerably since I first bought the bike, but no more power since then.

I don't want an insane dirtbike, I want a trail bike that will always have some power on tap for those moments when the front wheel NEEDS to come up. I get the feeling that you haven't pushed the bike enough just yet.

Pin the throttle up a near vertical and so muddy you can barely stand on it hillclimb, and tell me that the power is fine. I'm lugging the engine off of stoplights ffs!

Even my TTR would kick the front wheel up out of stoplights if I wasn't careful. No risk on the KLX.

Quick Reply: Did I go with the wrong bike?