Desert race carnage, need flush mount blinkers

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 03:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Malves
If you already have the DRC tail light, why not get the 12 o'clock labs (12oClockLabs) board? It has integrated blinkers and it´s a drop in for the DRC.
The DRC light would not saisfy any LEO's idea of what a blinker should look like. I classify it as a novelty and better than nothing but certainly not an effective blinker. The Edge tail/brake light is a pretty huge liability alreads since it is so dim.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Here's mine...as you can see I have the flush mount and the stocks. Long story, I took off the stock ones because I wanted to streamline the bike, then I decided that I want to live and be seen by cagers talking on their cell phones or eating a sandwich, so I put the stock ones back on, and I guess I was too lazy to take off the flush mount ones. LOL

I use this picture to show people the difference between the stock ones and the flush mount ones that I thought were so cool.
I mean don't get me wrong, they work, and they are tucked in under the rack as is the tail light, but it just didn't seem to convey to drivers that I was actually turning. And remember guys, always and I mean always do an over the shoulder left head check before turning left...ALWAYS!!!
I would have left the stock blinkers in place if they were able to hold up to off road riding. They are not. I installed smaller/cheaper ones and they are also not able to hold up. Further, when the blinkers are accidentally removed, additional damage is caused to the blinker mounts which is part of the taillight structure. No stalked blinkers are sufficient.

Safety on road. Well, we're on motorcycles and we must assume that the cage drivers can not see the blinkers anyway. Part of defensive driving. I am not willing to say that blinkers are the most important thing. The brake light assembly is far more important. We could always mount strobes to our helmets. I am more concerned with legality and not attracting too much LEO attention. I've had my endorsement for about 17 years now and have never wrecked on road or been pulled over by the fuzz except when trying to connect trails on non-road legal bikes.

So it looks like there are a couple of flush mount options. One looks about like a marker light from the roof of my F350. The other looks quite small. I think I like stroker's or Punkenduro's style of very small lights. I'll have to swing by the dealership in the next couple of days to see what they have on the shelf.

Punkenduro's lights look a little too small to pass muster but should last a long time.

I'll have to take a picture of the damage to the Edge blinker mounts. Those little cheeezy tabs are super weak.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
The DRC light would not saisfy any LEO's idea of what a blinker should look like. I classify it as a novelty and better than nothing but certainly not an effective blinker. The Edge tail/brake light is a pretty huge liability alreads since it is so dim.
Sorry, but what is LEO? It may not make any difference, but I should note that the 12 o'clock board comes with super bright LEDs that are much better than the stock ones that come with the DRC tail light.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:58 PM
1st Gear Member

I believe that's Law Enforcement Officer.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, the cops, LEO.

I didn't know that the DRC kit boosts the brightness of the tail/brake. That's good news, the Edge light really lacks in brightness.

I'll be also hitting the auto parts stores for amber "marker lights" that have the right size and shape.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Woops, double post.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Ohhhh...I got it now. Thanks.

DRC is the Edge tail light manufacturer. We´re talking about the same tail light kit. 12 o´clock labs is an independent manufacturer that produces a circuit board for this same kit with better lighting and integrated blinkers. The new version is a plug and play for the KLX, as it has been for the WRX and DRZ in previous versions.

I am ordering both for my SF soon. But I don´t live in the US anymore. I´m living in Rio, Brazil again and, although it´s a shame to say it, the cops over here are a joke compared to the police in the US.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I cleaned up the bike and took some more pics. The bike took on more damage than I thought.

The first is the missing blinker and the mangled support for the blinker from the Edge light. The edge assembly is loose now and I noticed that one of the rear tool bag bolts vibrated away. Can't wait to put in some flush mounts.

The footpeg assembly and peg took a decent rock hit at about 30 mph. No wreck of course just a glancing blow. About 120$ plus shipping damage here.

The skid plate did the job taking several hits and is now form fit to the frame tubes. All of these hits were from flicked rocks and no landing on the engine type hits.

Attached Thumbnails Desert race carnage, need flush mount blinkers-balls-003-2-.jpg   Desert race carnage, need flush mount blinkers-balls-005-2-.jpg   Desert race carnage, need flush mount blinkers-balls-006.jpg  
Old 04-14-2011, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Here's a pic of me after the race. If you see this guy in the woods don't worry, it's just me.

Attached Thumbnails Desert race carnage, need flush mount blinkers-balls-026.jpg  
Old 04-15-2011, 01:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
The footpeg assembly and peg took a decent rock hit at about 30 mph. No wreck of course just a glancing blow. About 120$ plus shipping damage here.

The skid plate did the job taking several hits and is now form fit to the frame tubes. All of these hits were from flicked rocks and no landing on the engine type hits.
I see kawasaki still uses that peg mount. Because of the length of the mount, I used to bend it from my weight(200#) in a season of whoops. Had to beef it up as it would freak me out how easily it bent. The mount is $120?!

Quick Reply: Desert race carnage, need flush mount blinkers