dealer service screwup.. should I be worried about this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 02:01 AM
Default dealer service screwup.. should I be worried about this?

I took my bike in for its 1000 km dealer service recently in order to maintain my warranty.
After I picked up the bike, I went riding, logging about 200 kms in the day.
Later that might I cleaned off the mud, checked the oil, and noticed that the mechaic had overfilled the oil!
I removed some oil from the bike so it's down to the full line now and everything seems fine. Any problem I should worry about having run the bike overfilled with oil?

Not too happy with my dealer's service department, to say the least.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:38 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: dealer service screwup.. should I be worried about this?

might want to go back to the dealer and tell them what happened and tell them that u want it recorded on your service record incase any damage was done.

Old 11-12-2006, 03:29 AM
1st Gear Member

How much did you remove to bring it back to full? Was your bike level when you checked it? Jsac is right tell the dealer you want it recorded in case of further problems and you also write it all down. My 2c

Old 11-12-2006, 06:16 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Just for the record, you don't have to get your bike serviced to maintain the warranty. Just keep good records of the work you do such as oil changes and any other stuff. Service work by the dealer does not have to be done.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:07 PM

Nobody works on my stuff but ME...why would you trust some 19 year old crackhead at the dealer to work on your stuff LOL.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:55 AM

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

How much did you remove to bring it back to full? Was your bike level when you checked it? Jsac is right tell the dealer you want it recorded in case of further problems and you also write it all down. My 2c
I check my oil with the bike perpendicular to the ground... While I didn't actually measure the amount of oil I removed from the bike, the level was just over the sight class. I'm sure I'm being a little paranoid, but I will bring this up with the dealer in any event. I am still curious what problems could possibly occur if a bike is overfilled with oil.

Since I didn't haul my bike to the dealer, I just rode off straight from the shop. It's really sad that I would need to check the oil immediately after having been serviced by a "professional"...and charged top dollar for it!

Old 11-13-2006, 10:04 AM

For everyone wondering why I would take my bike in for simple maintenance I can do myself with no problems... Here it is, straight from the Kawasaki Owner's Warranty Guide:

under Owner's Obligations:
"There are certain Owner's obligations that must be fulfilled to maintain the validity of the Kawasaki warranty..."
1. "The owner must deliver, at his expense, the complete product to an authorized Kawasaki dealer for all periodic maintenance services during the warranty period applicable to that model..."

This is exactly what the dealer also told me when I bought the bike new.

Nobody else has this stipulation on their warranty card???

I wish I could get away with doing ALL maintenance myself, but I don't want to risk losing the warranty.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:01 AM
1st Gear Member

mehh thats crazy.. i guess itd depend on the dealer if theyd screw ya over something like that... as long as ya have receipts/documents that youve done all mandatory maintenance i dont think theyd give ya a prob.... BUT i did take mine to the dealer for the first maintenance as thats when their supposed to check all cables/nuts/levels etc etc etc. after that maintenance is mine WITH all receipts and docs.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

dont get me started on dealer screw ups.... [:@][:@][:@][:'(]