De badged

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 12:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine have a few scuffs too... not a big deal, it's a Motard...

PM me, see if we can work something out.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I de-badge all my cars...and no they don't look wrecked..haha..showroom clean..my harley I have 100 year badges so they stay..the KLX I took that HUGE Kawasaki sticker off the side cowl..and got two smaller ones,also made a front fender insert..what can I say I'm a Engineer

Old 05-02-2012, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lutz
I like it too. (I still wish I could have gotten a green one rather than red.)

In my mind, knobby tires = crashed. And I don't see that as a bad thing...unless it is (damaged hard parts).

But this should bring up another point (at least for dirtbikes): if you find a used one with mint OEM plastics and graphics...you may want to look deeper into the bike for other signs of wear. A common tactic for people who turn over bikes frequently is buy aftermarket plastic right away and save the OEM stuff for resale time. On the other hand, there a many who just put new aftermarket plastic at sale time to put a fresh look on an old bike.

A bike may look great externally, but that doesn't always mean it's OK inside. It might be powerwashed after every ride so it's nice and shiny...but also has ruined suspension and wheel bearings from water contamination. And then there are bikes that look beat to hell, even though they've been kept mechanically tip-top.

I guess bottom line, plastic condition can only hint at what lies beneath (and it can easily tell a lie).
Yep, that all factors into what I look for when looking over something that is used. "Clean" doesn't always mean it has been taken care of... I realize that. What I was saying is that my first impression of a used (insert vehicle here) is usually a picture. If the picture is sans-original stickers, I pass on it right then and there. If the pictures look mint, and I go see it... and I see damage or neglect, I pass on it.

Yes, I would expect a used bike to have some scuffs and scratches. No, I won't buy something that has the pipes or chain all rusted up, or the frame tubes bashed flat, bent bars, busted levers, fluid leaks, etc. I'm a "detective" when I look over a vehicle. Problem is; this detective sees missing badges as a "big red flag" that I just can't get past. I won't ever look at something that is missing badges... that's just me. Others may not have a problem with it.

Keep in mind that 99% of all SUVs on the road have NEVER seen off-road. Same is true for a lot of dual-sport bikes... never been off-road. Same with snowmobiles... never been off the trail, or ridden hard. *THOSE* are the vehicles I look for if/when I'm buying something used... (unless, of course, the price is too good to pass up).

Old 05-02-2012, 02:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lutz
And then there are bikes that look beat to hell, even though they've been kept mechanically tip-top.
That is my bike!! As far as looks - it appears to have gone through world war II and viet-nam.. But I keep up on everything mechanically and it runs perfect. Function over form!

Old 05-02-2012, 03:42 PM
1st Gear Member

i just kept the kawasaki sticker and ufo sticker on the rear plastic...i like it de-badged....but, i de-badge all my cars too and just leave only the center emblems....

Last edited by ahnh666; 05-02-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Stickers make it go faster, use your head. LOL

Old 05-02-2012, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

it's unnecessary weight and creates wind drag...slower slower slower......on another note..i wonder if i can get little more mileage from those tires....8,000 miles...almost at the wear indicator

Originally Posted by deej
Stickers make it go faster, use your head. LOL

Last edited by ahnh666; 05-02-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
i just kept the kawasaki sticker and ufo sticker on the rear plastic...i like it de-badged....but, i de-badge all my cars too and just leave only the center emblems....

Niceeee

Old 05-03-2012, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I was going to de-badge mine, but that 'Acerbis' is sort of molded into the tank.

Ron