Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Wow, Lutz!
105 miles per day is a heck of a commute. I can see why your seat doesn't bother you. You've got to have some serious @$$ callouses. What gearing are you using now? Want to hit the headwinds and pass cars? Keep that big bore kit in your scope. Ride on brother...nice mileage.
@$$ callouses? Well, yeah, I guess my rear does get toughened up a bunch. I also use my legs a lot to bear some of the load.

Yeah, it's a long commute, but a nice one...i commute where a lot of people take their vacations. I do wish it wasn't so far to work, but the distance was a necessary compromise. On the up side, the gas savings with the bike over my car went a long way to justifying its purchase. 105 is actually the shortest loop, if I take more dirt it adds at least 20 miles to the total...and up from there if I really want to have a little fun along the way. For me, the big Acerbis tank is a huge benefit. I'd probably have a lot more mileage on the bike, but Northern Minnesota winters are long, long, long.

Right now, I've got 14/47 gearing, which I installed prior to a ride in the Black Hills. I've got maybe 500 to 1000 miles on that gearing. It's definitely better on the trails, and it still works well for commuting, but it's basically like losing sixth gear at cruising speed...a bit revvy.

Medium term, I've still got a big bore in mind, along with other serious mods that are already waiting in the garage, if I actually decide to install them.

Last edited by Lutz; 12-07-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry for the delay to all your posts. Thanks for the advise. Come this spring i'll try it out and see how things go.

I have the full face helmet already, along with a good leather jacket and street gloves. Also have a lightweight rain suit.

One thing I forgot to ask was how often to clean the air filter for street only use? Just do it every oil change?

-Nick

Old 12-15-2012, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I check the airfilter every other week or so, but probably clean and oil it maybe twice a season. Whenever it starts to look grungy and has begun to lose it's tackiness. Honestly that works out to about 3000 miles - so you'd probably be safe at every oil change. If you ride a lot of dirt - more often.