Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Lightbulb Daily Driver?

Well the last few years I have not been able to ride the KLX much due to work. It has been left at the cottage for holiday rides when I can get up and actually use it.

I now see myself possibly using it as a daily driver to work this spring and summer (40 miles round trip back roads 4 or 5x a week). Or maybe just hold off until I can afford a cruiser bike that is better suited for road use.

Bike has 5000k and I need to check the valves and go over other maintenance items to make sure its ready to go.

What else should be checked to make sure it is road ready?

Also if I am riding only paved roads at 55 mph when should I be changing the oil?
Currently using mobil 1 4T and changing it every 1000 miles with filter. Maybe push it to 2000?

Im just looking for opinions and peoples input that use there KLX as a daily driver.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:30 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Masson
Currently using mobil 1 4T and changing it every 1000 miles with filter. Maybe push it to 2000?
No need to over service. I also use Mobil 1 4T and drop it and the filter every six months. I travelled around 2,500mi on the last oil change. Owners manual says every 7,500mi/1yr after the initial 600mi service. That's stretching it especially with a sump capacity of 1.5L

As I do a lot of asphalt riding when I commute, my next rear tyre will be a Pirelli MT90; just about worn down the Heidenau K60. I have a Michelin Sirac on the front which has hardly worn in 4,000mi.

Last edited by klx4me; 12-06-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

If I was riding that far everyday I would use a fill face street helmet.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:01 PM
1st Gear Member

It´s a great commuter. For back roads you won´t need a cruiser. I change oil and filter between every 5-6k km. In less than 2 year I´ve already passed the 40,000 km mark.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I used mine as a commuter and weekend/evening playbike last summer. I changed the oil every 2K miles just to be on the safe side. Tarmac only I'd prolly go 3K miles.

Left my beautiful Bandit 1250 sitting in the garage cause I only wanted to ride the KLX. Nothing but free/cheap mods and fork revalve for my 06.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll second some of the comments so far:
- it's a great commuter
- don't bother over-servicing it
- off road tires will wear quickly on asphalt
- get a full-face helmet

Also, the KLX is much more fun than any cruiser I have ever ridden!

Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Since my klx is the sf model, it almost goes without saying that it is an absolute urban assault vehicle... It will easily hold speeds of about 65mph comfortably. Long story short I wouldn't trade it for anything when it comes to metro commuting.

That being said I feel nasty drone on the long stretch back roads I use for commuting when I am in the U.P.. It is the main reason I am starting to search for older mid-sized street bike.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member

using the klx250sf as a commuter for the most part....little over 55 miles commute...mostly highway at 75mph to 85 mph....15t front...switch to 13t front on weekends and fun rides...
  • currently using yamalube semi-synthetic...2,500~3,000 mile oil/oil filter change/clean intervals...(will probably switch to rotella full synthetic when i run out of my large supply of yamalube)
  • lube my chain every two weeks...check the cables...
  • my valves went out of spec after 8,000 miles, so that was done...i'll probably check every other oil change because it's pretty easy just to check...
  • i just do coolant and brake fluid replacement...take out what i can and add...yearly...kind of how i do it with my cars and i never had any issues...

Last edited by ahnh666; 12-06-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I've got 12,000 and change miles on my '09 S. Most of that is from my 105 mile (round trip) daily commute. That is a combination of gravel roads and pavement, generally 60-70 mph indicated speed (55 mph limit). All of that until very recently was on the original 14/42 gearing. The bike is also my trail machine, but the commute miles are by far the majority probably 90% or more.

It's not given me a problem during commuting. I change the oil about every 3000 miles, filter at the same time, for what it's worth. I checked the valves at 7407 miles, and one exhaust was out tight, but I adjusted all four to the loose end of spec anyway. I haven't checked them again since...it will be a winter project.

I will say though, the open roads I ride are not this bike's strong point. The lack of power becomes an issue for me in strong headwinds, and can also be a issue when overtaking cars with limited passing opportunity. If you really keep it at 55 mph and lower, it does fine. Many people find the seat objectionable for long sits, and I somewhat agree...but only somewhat.

Anyway, if you want to commute on the KLX...just add gasoline. Well, keep up on basic maintenance too.

Last edited by Lutz; 12-07-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lutz
I've got 12,000 and change miles on my '09 S. Most of that is from my 105 mile (round trip) daily commute. That is a combination of gravel roads and pavement, generally 60-70 mph indicated speed (55 mph limit). All of that until very recently was on the original 14/42 gearing. The bike is also my trail machine, but the commute miles are by far the majority probably 90% or more.

It's not given me a problem during commuting. I change the oil about every 3000 miles, filter at the same time, for what it's worth. I checked the valves at 7407 miles, and one exhaust was out tight, but I adjusted all four to the loose end of spec anyway. I haven't checked them again since...it will be a winter project.

I will say though, the open roads I ride are not this bike's strong point. The lack of power becomes an issue for me in strong headwinds, and can also be a issue when overtaking cars with limited passing opportunity. If you really keep it at 55 mph and lower, it does fine. Many people find the seat objectionable for long sits, and I somewhat agree...but only somewhat.

Anyway, if you want to commute on the KLX...just add gasoline. Well, keep up on basic maintenance too.
Wow, Lutz!
105 miles per day is a heck of a commute. I can see why your seat doesn't bother you. You've got to have some serious @$$ callouses. What gearing are you using now? Want to hit the headwinds and pass cars? Keep that big bore kit in your scope. Ride on brother...nice mileage.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver?