Dads with Kids & Wife with Bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 04:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Dads with Kids & Wife with Bikes.

Besides the obvious helmet and goggles, I'd say as well boots are a big thing to get.

I also really like the chest plate. Because of it, my friends didnt have to use a wire brush to scrub gravel out of my shoulder and arm

Old 03-19-2008, 05:11 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KDXmike

ORIGINAL: 09KLXowner

I don't agree with that. IMO, everyone is important enough to get full gear imo whatever it takes to get it. You must not have kids....you can't pick and choose which one you would rather not see get injured which your philosophy really depicts. I would think the youngest one would be the most injure prone since they're the least experienced at riding. I see your point, but to me it would be important for everyone to be equally protected. Everyone in the boat has a life jacket, same thing. This is just MY opinion just like it was his/yours.
I don't neccessarily disagree with you here. But everyone is not in the same 'boat'. We are individuals and are riding different bikes individuallyand differently. We can't remove the cost factor from any sport no matter how dangerous it may be. Otherwise we'd all have the same protection. But we must take into account the type of riding, the terrain, and machine we are riding as well as age group. When you have multiple family members riding then cost is a huge concern. Just because somone buys boots at aWal-Mart for example doesn't mean they are getting an inferior product.

When I bought my son his first pair of riding booots they were heavy duty leather, steel toe, above the ankle/to the calf boots and under $30. When he progressed and was riding faster and more ambitiously then I bought him a pair of Thors'. But cost was always a big issue. Off the top of my head I can think of alot of gear that could keep us all safer, butmany of usdon't have the money to afford it. But ride we do
I understand. But when you're talking about riding you're talking at least a $1000 machine for the youngest. What's another $100-$150 in gear? If you've got the dough to buy the machine, you can come up with just a bit more for the correct protective gear. Look at it this way- what would you rather pay for more, boots and a helmet or surgery and a permanent injury like a twisted ligament due to inferior boots? To me, having MX-styledesigned gear is common sense which means you get the boots and other gear designed with off-road motorcycle riding protection in mind. You don't see safeties in the NFL wearing leather helmets.
Your statement reminds me of parents I've seen who depend on food stamps toprovide food for their family and the public to provide their kids' health insurance, but they're also the same parents I see who can buywith their 'own' money, two cartons of Marlboros or a case of beer andnot even bat an eye.You can evidently afford the toys but not the things to adequately protect the people riding them, in this case your kids. Not saying you're one of those parents at all, just that the two scenarios are similar in my mind. Kids are precious and in a blink of an eye an accident can change a life forever for the bad. It's up to us to prevent that from occuring. Protection baby!!

Old 03-19-2008, 01:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow, Hi All, I really didn't expect as many responses and would like to sincerley thank you all for sharing. I guess right now if money were no object they would all have the best of everything, however this is where reality hits and the $ just aren;t there to go out and buy it all at once. So I have a choice to make, don't let them ride and dissapoint them, let them ride with minimum but adequate gear and try to educate them the best I can or just sell the bikes and forgot about it (not gonna happen!!!). So this is what I have ended up with for the weekend riding;

11 year old (Borrowed boots),Ownnew helmet,pair of jeans, helmet, long sleeve top with light thin body armour of some sort (borrowed)--- She has about 300.00 in her bank and says she's going to use that to buy her own gear, what a champ....(riding a pw80)
8 year old (pw50), Own helmet, jeans, long sleeve top, pair of high boots (leather pretty solid)
6 year old (borrowed boots, Borrowed helmet, borrowed pants and top)
Wife Own Helmet, pants, boots (like hiking boots with a bit of ankle support) top.

Overall I think I've done pretty well and managed to borrow some gear from some friends of ours. The other thing that bugs me if I do go out and spend a heap of money on gear and they lose interest in riding It's a lot of money to waste.

Again, thanks for your advice.

Cheers
Chris.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm glad you were accepted, bless your heart.[sm=kissykissy.gif]

Another amazingly ingenious post from a real piece of work.

I love how you chime in with all your great advice on how to spend dough when you don't even have the funding to purchase a bike, but then again hypocrites like Eliot Spitzer are an integral part of our society now days.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chris72a

11 year old (Borrowed boots),Ownnew helmet,pair of jeans, helmet, long sleeve top with light thin body armour of some sort (borrowed)--- She has about 300.00 in her bank and says she's going to use that to buy her own gear, what a champ....(riding a pw80)
8 year old (pw50), Own helmet, jeans, long sleeve top, pair of high boots (leather pretty solid)
6 year old (borrowed boots, Borrowed helmet, borrowed pants and top)
Wife Own Helmet, pants, boots (like hiking boots with a bit of ankle support) top.

Overall I think I've done pretty well and managed to borrow some gear from some friends of ours. The other thing that bugs me if I do go out and spend a heap of money on gear and they lose interest in riding It's a lot of money to waste.

Again, thanks for your advice.

Cheers
Chris.
Looks like you got it covered. It's rough getting 3 kids into the sport. Just getting myself and my son back into the sport was pricey. After buying bikes there wasn't much money leftover.

Mike

Old 03-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Well thanks, don't you just hate it when your (you think) clever post comes back to bite you in the rearend. Here's one for you since I know you are obsessed with everything I post, do some callin around as you're watching soap operas on your matted down lazyboy recliner and find a dealer that has a new '09 in and then have them call me. pm me and I'll send you my number. Until then, I'm kind of at the mercy of Kawi to get my new motorcycle. Keep reachin for that next peg on the wall, come on, you can do it...........stretch, pull. LMAO

Old 03-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

My kids don't ride, but if they did I'd have to be in the camp of full gear for all. If you can't afford the gear, you can't afford to ride. I'd consider minimal gear to be boots, helmet, goggles, gloves. Not saying everyone has to have Alpine Star Tech 10 boots and the most expensive Shoei helmets either. Protection wise, a $89 helmet is probably just as good as a $400 Shoei. And you don't really need fancy jersey's or pants, IMO, and the chest protectors are more roost guards than anything else - important when riders are kicking back rocks in a race or aggressive ride with your buddies, but not critical when trail riding with the family. With so much stuff on e-bay and Craigslist, one should be able to gear up the whole family without breaking the budget. Besides, non-matching gear looks cool.

And please don't forget those goggles. I had a real close call this past weekend. It was warm and had my visor up on my helmet for ventilation while doing a fast little loop in the woods and a sharp stiff stick poked right in there and jabbed me about an inch below my right eye. It jabbed hard enough that it cut through the skin fairly deeply and I had a nice stream of blood flowing. If it would have hit my eye, I'm pretty sure I would not be able to see right now. I let my guard down briefly and I got lucky. It could have easily gone very badly for me, I feel very fortunate to have vision in both eyes right now.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Well thanks, don't you just hate it when your (you think) clever post comes back to bite you in the rearend. Here's one for you since I know you are obsessed with everything I post, do some callin around as you're watching soap operas on your matted down lazyboy recliner and find a dealer that has a new '09 in and then have them call me. pm me and I'll send you my number. Until then, I'm kind of at the mercy of Kawi to get my new motorcycle. Keep reachin for that next peg on the wall, come on, you can do it...........stretch, pull. LMAO
More excuses huh there Mr. pedestrian?
Those who can, ride. Those you can't, make up excuses and lies.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

More excuses huh there Mr. pedestrian?
Those who can, ride. Those you can't, make up excuses and lies.

Ummm, I hate to keep harping on this with you but in case you don't know, the '09's aren't at dealers yet. Can anyone help me out here to tell this dude that I'm not lying about the '09's not being out yet. I guess if I wanted to ride bad enough I could get out my mountain bike or ride my daughter's JR50. But calling me a liar still doesn't take away from the fact that you didn't find me an '09 at a dealer like I asked you to. It's all good though, cuz you're the one calling me a liar, retard, hypocrite, etc. At least no one can say I'm doing that.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

My kids don't ride, but if they did I'd have to be in the camp of full gear for all. If you can't afford the gear, you can't afford to ride. I'd consider minimal gear to be boots, helmet, goggles, gloves. Not saying everyone has to have Alpine Star Tech 10 boots and the most expensive Shoei helmets either. Protection wise, a $89 helmet is probably just as good as a $400 Shoei. And you don't really need fancy jersey's or pants, IMO, and the chest protectors are more roost guards than anything else - important when riders are kicking back rocks in a race or aggressive ride with your buddies, but not critical when trail riding with the family. With so much stuff on e-bay and Craigslist, one should be able to gear up the whole family without breaking the budget. Besides, non-matching gear looks cool.

And please don't forget those goggles. I had a real close call this past weekend. It was warm and had my visor up on my helmet for ventilation while doing a fast little loop in the woods and a sharp stiff stick poked right in there and jabbed me about an inch below my right eye. It jabbed hard enough that it cut through the skin fairly deeply and I had a nice stream of blood flowing. If it would have hit my eye, I'm pretty sure I would not be able to see right now. I let my guard down briefly and I got lucky. It could have easily gone very badly for me, I feel very fortunate to have vision in both eyes right now.

dude, glad to see we agree on something. Also glad to hear your eye wasn't attacked. Complacency will sneak up and bite you every time. I tell that to clients quite often. Goggles are imperative. Also, with all the exchanges we've had it's good to know I'm okay and I think you are too. You know I'm a smartass and I know you're a clever poster that knows tons about tons.

Quick Reply: Dads with Kids & Wife with Bikes.