Crankcase breather mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Crankcase breather mod

Isnt there then 3 holes in the airbox leading to the engine, CC breather, main air intake, then the small hole for the emmisions crap.... maybe im wrong but i was pretty sure it was where i described... ill have to check....

Old 12-03-2007, 01:56 PM
IG

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong on this but I just remember being able to fish the plastic pieces out w/ my hand and that was with the backfire plate still there. I think the cc vent is directly below the main air intake but not in line with it. that's be a terrible engineering fart on kawi's part.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yea you maybe right....

Old 12-03-2007, 02:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Crankcase vents downstream of the filter are not uncommon at all, & is infact prefered since it will not send any oil onto your filter. In the old days they just vented out to the atmosphere with no filter or anything. Ecos have since mandated all the fumes out the brether be burned--hence the current routing. I have not looked to see where the KLX is located inside the airbox.

I have not done the mod & dont plan too. The reason being not becaudse if you drop it oil can get in your airbox (which it can) but because it can blow in there under normal operation. On my XR650L there was an oil seperator canister in the hose between the engine & air intake. I removed it as part of the IMS smog pump rempoval kit. When runnign at high ROPM for extended periods it would fill my airbox with oil. I reinstalled the cannister & did not have the problem again.

If you have done it on the KLX, congradulations. Either the KLX is not as sensitive as the XRL was to such things or you have not operated it such that it has becomje a problem. I am just not going to mess with it based on my past experiences.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:17 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

the biggest plus i can see is not getting water in the crankcase....

Old 12-03-2007, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Realistically, what kind of performance gains can you expect to get by doing the cc mod?

Old 12-03-2007, 04:03 PM
IG

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider

Realistically, what kind of performance gains can you expect to get by doing the cc mod?
exactly. some of the "free" mods get kind of like imprinted on the cultural ownership of the KLX and anyone who buys one thinks that "wow, a lot of people say to do this so I must and it has to immediately give me 1-2 horsepower". other mods I can think of that fall under this category is the smog removal crap, that's more cosmetic than anything else. unhooking the TPS as well, I left mine and to be honest I wouldn't think it would benefit to unhook it unless you get rid of the oem carb altogether. one other mod I've always wondered about was the drilling of the slide. how do we know it improves throttle response? but if the pioneers say so......

Old 12-03-2007, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider

I actually noticed a significant kick when I did it to mine. That was one of the first mods I did to it. I did the nobrakes mod.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

IG, you must have a) removed your backfire screen or b) forgotten what the hell you did 2 years ago...
The CC vent goes into the airbox AFTER the air filter (on the clean side).
If you were fishing shavings out with your fingers, you would have been doing that by sticking your hand through the air filter passage (through the backfire screen).

There is another drain hole on the dirty side of the filter - that's a water drain in case you get water in the airbox.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

IG, you must have a) removed your backfire screen or b) forgotten what the hell you did 2 years ago...
The CC vent goes into the airbox AFTER the air filter (on the clean side).
If you were fishing shavings out with your fingers, you would have been doing that by sticking your hand through the air filter passage (through the backfire screen).

There is another drain hole on the dirty side of the filter - that's a water drain in case you get water in the airbox.

Thats what i thaught... and the tube for the carb vacuum line for the emissions crap was on the clean side also.....

Quick Reply: Crankcase breather mod