crankcase breather

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default crankcase breather

OK, I got my 351 installed and rode a bit. I was in such a hurry to get it up and running, I didn't have time to research something that I didn't quite understand.

I installed the 351 and installed the block off aluminum plate on the front of the engine cylinder and removed a bunch of smog/tubing/stuff which I quite frankly did not understand.

I am reading that some people have crank breather's installed and I didn't do anything except plug all the holes and am thinking now I should somehow get the crankcase setup to breath a little. How do you do that?

Old 11-10-2011, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

You should have a stock breather hose from the top of the case that runs to the airbox.

There are a couple of different breather hose mods that you can search here on this forum, I think.

I have the stock hose routed up under the seat with a little pod type filter on the end of it with the airbox connection capped off.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:10 PM
1st Gear Member
Default OK

I see the breather on the kawa parts pdf, I don't remember messing with that.

Thanks, I'll check that out when I get back home. Maybe I don't have to do anything >

Old 11-10-2011, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
I see the breather on the kawa parts pdf, I don't remember messing with that.

Thanks, I'll check that out when I get back home. Maybe I don't have to do anything >
No, you didn't need to mess with it when you put on the 351 or disconnected the smog apparatus. You're probably good to go.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mel brooks
I have the stock hose routed up under the seat with a little pod type filter on the end of it with the airbox connection capped off.
Do you think there's an advantage to do that? Just curious...

Old 11-11-2011, 04:24 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RayCour
Do you think there's an advantage to do that? Just curious...
I don't think there's a requirement for Mel's mod on the KLX, but other bikes have shown themselves to benefit from such crankcase venting tricks like this. Mel, didn't you have or used to have a KLR650? That was a bike that seemed to have some crankcase ventilation challenges, and I think anyone who has owned one always looks at this in their other bikes a little more closely than most. I don't think Mel's mod described here will do anything to harm the engine, but the KLX doesn't seem to build up much crankcase pressure, or at least pressure that the OEM setup can't handle. I respect Mel's wrenching history and maybe she'll elaborate on this. Now, early on when I had my airbox off for some other mods, I did drill out the airbox crankcase vent hole a bit bigger where the hose enters. I don't think this was any big deal or some real benefit, but I knew it wouldn't hurt. IMO unless the KLX engine is having an abnormal mechanical issue, I don't think excess crankcase pressure or blowby is an issue with this motor.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I can't say whether the following two mods will net you any gains of any sort.

When I was just beginning to mod my KLX, I did some reading over on KLRWorld.com in their KLX section as well as this board. A couple of mods by two tech guru's over there, Marty and No Brakes.

Read the threads and decide for yourself whether it's work trying.

Two threads where you can read about this mod and a similar one.

Login

Login

(If you can't read those posts from here, I can copy and paste them I guess.....)

EDIT: (and no TNC, I've never had a KLR650. I don't like having bikes I can't pick up when I drop them.... )

Last edited by mel brooks; 11-11-2011 at 04:23 PM.