Cracks on 1 year old tire

Old 02-01-2013, 02:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Every set of Shinkos I have run on the KLX have done the same thing, as did a set of Pirellis I also ran. Although it initially caused me some concern like you, it has not resulted in any chunking or failure. I would keep an eye on it but I wouldn't worry or let it steer you away from Shinkos in the future if you are happy with them otherwise.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Ive ran on at least 35 year old tires maybe older
cracked like crazy too
until new ones came in
seems like no one ever changes out tires when you buy old bikes
and its not even that hard to do by hand

Old 02-01-2013, 05:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Omg MikeW's post just made me wish I could post pics of the tires on my trailer I restored (back down state atm)... I run 600 mile trips on those 6 ply tires which are weather checked to the brim!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:29 AM
1st Gear Member

I mounted my Golden Boy a few months ago. I just went out to see what I had. Mine has the same stretch marks. I haven't really ridden my Golden Boy too hard, just a few quickies. Not worried.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Another thing besides ozone would be if any harsh detergent is used on the tires. I know during a Bridgestone seminar we were told that the best thing to do with tires is ignore them, if you do clean them use soap and a brush, any dressing is a no-no. It removes the preservative wax that looks like gunk on the tire (the old 80s Bridgestones would actually have a greenish coating).

He also told us slight cracking is normal and not a problem. The problem is when the cracks are down to the belts of the tire. My tires end up looking a bit like yours before I'm near replacing them. As long as the cracks aren't deep and showing cords, I'm riding them. I run Duros on the dual sport and am running IRCs on the Zephyr. Also had the cracking on the Avons I ran before the Duros.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lotrat
I mounted my Golden Boy a few months ago. I just went out to see what I had. Mine has the same stretch marks. I haven't really ridden my Golden Boy too hard, just a few quickies. Not worried.
Really? are we going down this road again?

Old 02-02-2013, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I have no idea what you're talking about. There is nothing worse than a worn and cracked golden boy. The temptation is to apply some protection, but I like um dry. No chance of slippage.

The sign that ozone is getting to a tire is when it turns from black to milk chocolate in color.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I guess the tire can turn milk chocolate, but it doesn't mean it will...

I used to go with my grandfather for equipment inspections for the linemen, that rubber equipment gets cracks in it just like those on any tire of piece of rubber over time.

Nothing you can really do about it unless your using sprays or etc... you just take the garment, circle the crack with a paint marker and write "03" and then you throw it in the garbage.

Then when no ones looking you sneak the gloves that get thrown in the garbage back out and into your pocket because though they may no longer be rated for 10k volts... they work great around the house still.

:-)

Last edited by LikesToThump; 02-02-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I like milk chocolate...

Old 02-04-2013, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I like milk chocolate...
Typically (not always) the chocolate milk from the store is the milk that had a bit of blood in it from the utters, but not so much as it was unusable... thus they make chocolate milk (or strawberry i guess ) with it so people will buy it.

It is for this reason I make my own chocolate milk ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cracks on 1 year old tire