Cracks on 1 year old tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Cracks on 1 year old tire

I bought a pair of Shinko Golden Boy tires about a year ago, and I was notified during an inspection that I had some "weather" cracks on my rear tire. The cracks are around the base of the *****. It doesn't look bad, but it sure doesn't make me too happy. There might be 1000 miles on the tire, and my bike stays in the garage. Any suggestions or tips? Thanks.

Name:  image-1_zps1119841a.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  81.9 KB

Old 01-31-2013, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Indication of ozone (O3)... can't really be stopped in natural rubber, unless you put your bike in a vacuum. :-P

Should be fine, as you wear into new fresh rubber you get some of the good characteristics of the tread back... but yea technically speaking they are not as good as day 1.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:00 AM
1st Gear Member

That's not weather but wear related.
I get that as my tires start to wear out. If you are like me, then you accelerate hard and brake hard, which stresses the **** by deforming it. The next step for me was to toss a couple of ***** on sharp rocks while accelerating.
1000 miles off-road for a tire is good, on the road that wouldn't be good.
There are cheap tires and inexpensive tires, you want the latter.
And I've found that some $100 tires are worth at least 2 $50 tires. I'll happily spend more $$$ to spend less time changing tires to go the same distance, but that's me.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:09 AM
1st Gear Member

I thought it was called "micro thread"... you know, for a better grip on ice!

Seriously, I'd be worried to.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Member

keep riding

Old 02-01-2013, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys, I forgot to mention I have never taken this bike off road with those tires. I won't be buying these tires next time.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 AM
1st Gear Member

In all fairness the weather has something to do with it to Maximus.

I mean the ozone (from ozone in the air) attacks the rubber chains causing cracks to form Exactly perpendicular to the line of tension, which explains the cracks that circumference the tread on his tire.

This would happen to any tire over time due to the forces it endures every moment as it is filled with compressed air. They are cheaper tires and most likely have little or no anti-ozone additives from the manufacturing process, thus it occurs more rapidly. But riding will stretch the rubber and accelerate the process... but honestly living in a large city (smog) and storing your bike in ozone rich areas can cause this too.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:54 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Austin, I don't find that to be at all odd with any tire that has a ****/block style pattern. Pavement or dirt, you get more squirm out of the blocks on medium-to-aggressive dual sport tires that make little stress lines like those. The kind of tire pressure you run can aggravate the situation. I've seen this on many, many tires I've owned from budget models to the best. It only becomes an issue if they start chunking *****, but I've found that seeing those stress lines isn't necessarily an indicator or impending **** chunking. In my experiences with aggessive or mild DS tires with any block design, this just isn't unusual.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

You said after a year, that's a long time to keep a tire, I know most people probably blow through a tire (3000 miles for semi knobbed) in about 4 months. And that's taking their time. Sitting rubber will always crack over time

Old 02-01-2013, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I never thought of the 03 affecting tires, which technically counts for weather. So it's both, I guess then.
You just stirred the chemistry minor memory banks.
And I should have been more clear, I wasn't suggesting changing tires yet. I run my knobbies way down, unless I am going off-road a lot. All my tires have done that to some extent, the cheaper ones will start chucking ***** off, but only if they meet some serious resistance(like when I spun the tire on sand leading up to RR tracks, which promptly stopped the tire from spinning and I wheelied a bit or sharp rocks on a trail, like I mentioned before).
I think the "$100" tire often has wider and taller *****, allowing for more abuse and showing less wear because of it.
As TNC pointed out, knobbies squirm when you put pressure on them. Roll your bike around on hot day on pavement and you'll see it happen, then think about how much more force is applied while actually riding.
I can really feel the squirm with my studded tires. Kinda freaky, but it has a good rhythm.

Quick Reply: Cracks on 1 year old tire