Crackcase vent hole UNDO.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 06:06 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

lol. the lengths some will go to with this bike. this bike plays with it's owners' minds 24/7. it's funny.
I agree, the mod is free and logically may not add power, but it certainly lets the bike rev quicker which results in quicker response. It's perhaps the simplest of mods as well. Just remove the header, heat up a drill bit to red hot clamped with vise-grips and push it through. takes all of 3-5 seconds with no mess. the filter to the airbox? imo, waste of time. how much dirt gets by the filter anyways on its way to the engine side of the filter? if it's that much, you probably need a gas mask while you're riding or more oil on your air filter.

Last edited by 09KLXowner; 12-17-2008 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I was thinking of that earlier myself. The vent is on the engine side of the box. So if your worried about water in the box getting in the engine, its going to happen regardless of the crank vent because the engine intake is there from the carb.

Are people thinking about stuff before they make these mods and then give adice on them?
________
GRANNY HAIRY

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:30 AM
1st Gear Member

My thoughts exactly. Open the vent. Job done.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:55 AM
1st Gear Member
Default I agree

I aree 100%!!! I purchased the kit from FSW along with the shift star mod. The shift star from what I hear is WELL WORTH IT! However, the vent kit that I purchased is IMO the wrong way to do this mod. After dicking around for a few hours and having NO LUCK routing the longer hose in a way that had NO KINKS. I started analizing what I was actually doing, I started to look at the stock set-up and really liked the routing and idea of the stock set up. Once I looked down in the air-box and saw the tiny breather hole, I realized that making that hole bigger was all I really needed to do.

Looks cleaner and just as you guys said, if the air filter is good enough to keep the contaminants out of the carb, it should be more than enough to keep it out of the vent line!

ARe you guys running without an airbox lid to allow more air-flow?

Also have you guys gutted out the screen on the inside of the box?

Thanks!!!
MAXXI

Old 01-05-2009, 09:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IQOUTLAW
I aree 100%!!! I purchased the kit from FSW along with the shift star mod. The shift star from what I hear is WELL WORTH IT! However, the vent kit that I purchased is IMO the wrong way to do this mod. After dicking around for a few hours and having NO LUCK routing the longer hose in a way that had NO KINKS. I started analizing what I was actually doing, I started to look at the stock set-up and really liked the routing and idea of the stock set up. Once I looked down in the air-box and saw the tiny breather hole, I realized that making that hole bigger was all I really needed to do.

Looks cleaner and just as you guys said, if the air filter is good enough to keep the contaminants out of the carb, it should be more than enough to keep it out of the vent line!

ARe you guys running without an airbox lid to allow more air-flow?

Also have you guys gutted out the screen on the inside of the box?

Thanks!!!
MAXXI

Screen gutted out. Airbox lid in the bin and a Twin Air airfilter with a regular coat of Motul filter oil. Simple.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I cut out the screen when I put in the Hi-flow filter. I think of all of the FREE mods, cutting out the chicken wire (and/or the new filter) provided the most noticable improvement.

The vent hole "undo" really isn't an UNDO but a modifacation of the crank vent mod. The felt wheel allows more airflow that the stock hole (which is what we're after) but it also puts up a barrier against anything,(oil or water) passing through either way quickly.

It took 11 seconds, cost 30 cents and I can't see where it hurts anything.

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
. It's perhaps the simplest of mods as well. Just remove the header, heat up a drill bit to red hot clamped with vise-grips and push it through. takes all of 3-5 seconds with no mess. .
I'm impressed. 3-5 seconds to remove the header, remove the hose, clamp a drill bit in vise grips, heat it red hot, punch the airbox, (i'll assume) re attaching the header and reconnecting the hose,....all in 3-5 seconds!! WOW!!

That's either got to be some sort of record or complete bull$hit. Which is it Mr KLX09 ?

Why would you remove the header to do this mod? I can see it if you used a drill maybe but I just took a bent icepick, heated it red hot and stuck it in the hole. No header removal necessarry.

Excuse me for questioning the accuracy, truth or viability of your statements but, Like you always say, "Just good natured fun". at somebody elses expense

Last edited by horizonod; 01-05-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I capped my crank case beather and it seems to work fine . Anyone have differant ideas weather this is a good idea or not ? Bob Billen

Old 01-17-2009, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Capping off the breather may cause some seals to leak as pressure inside the crankcase builds.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:59 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by horizonod
I cut out the screen when I put in the Hi-flow filter. I think of all of the FREE mods, cutting out the chicken wire (and/or the new filter) provided the most noticable improvement.

The vent hole "undo" really isn't an UNDO but a modifacation of the crank vent mod. The felt wheel allows more airflow that the stock hole (which is what we're after) but it also puts up a barrier against anything,(oil or water) passing through either way quickly.

It took 11 seconds, cost 30 cents and I can't see where it hurts anything.

I'm impressed. 3-5 seconds to remove the header, remove the hose, clamp a drill bit in vise grips, heat it red hot, punch the airbox, (i'll assume) re attaching the header and reconnecting the hose,....all in 3-5 seconds!! WOW!!

That's either got to be some sort of record or complete bull$hit. Which is it Mr KLX09 ?

Why would you remove the header to do this mod? I can see it if you used a drill maybe but I just took a bent icepick, heated it red hot and stuck it in the hole. No header removal necessarry.

Excuse me for questioning the accuracy, truth or viability of your statements but, Like you always say, "Just good natured fun". at somebody elses expense
um, I don't think I've ever said anything to the effect of "just good natured fun". I"ve said "it's all good", other things. But "just good natured fun", to me, sounds a bit feminine.
and since you've never turned a wrench on your own bike, you evidently do not realize that to drill/push thru the vent hole, the header has to be removed. and the 3-5 seconds is the time it takes to push the red hot bit thru. again, something you wouldn't understand since you've probably never even held a drill bit, blow torch, or vice-grips.

if you really want to get technical, I bet I could do the mod in less than ten minutes or so. that's removing the whole exhaust, plastic, and reinstalling. It really is easy to do.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Realistically my mod took less than 2 minutes. Then again we get a different airboot.
This makes the whole job a lot simpler.

Capping off the vent totally is not a good idea. Every modern 4 stroke dirt bike I've seen has a crankcase vent of some description.

Quick Reply: Crackcase vent hole UNDO.