Costa Rica Ride Report

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Costa Rica Ride Report

Before I start this little ride report, I would like to thank the contributing members of this forum and the klx250s itself......because if I had not bought this bike 1.4 years ago I would have NEVER done a trip like this ....... never mind solo.

Brief background: I had "use it or lose it" vacation days at work and HAD to take the week of Thanksgiving off work. I was going to ride my Adv around Florida and maybe head over to New Orleans.......when my girl says ... and I quote "Why ride around Florida, you could go to Costa Rica, rent a bike and ride around there while I visit my sister" lol yes dear, let me look into it.

After a little research I find two bike rental shops in San Jose CR, one rents KTMs (too much cash for me) and the other rents xr250's and such but all they got for the week I'm going is a Honda NX4, basically a 400cc street bike they re sprung, put ***** on, re-geared and added high fenders...... but they say it is off road worthy and it's only $300 for the week so I take it. wtf I'm going on vacation solo....lol.

Day 1

I arrived in CR late Saturday night and partook in some San Jose nightlife....sorry no pics.

Sunday morning around 10ish I hook up with Thorston and get a peek of my new to me girl for the week. Here's a pic of Thorston and my loaner girl.

Me loaded up and ready to go......ya I'm smiling under my helmet.

The destination for Day one is Montezuma or somewhere close I hope......of course I proceed to get lost as soon as I head out of San Jose. Here's a map of route I took day one.

Asking Directions up the mountains from San Jose..... I gotta get to Puntarenas before 5pm so I can catch the 5:30 ferry

Name:  Lost.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  83.2 KB
Lost but havin fun....beautiful country.

Name:  StillLost.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  131.1 KB

Name:  StillLost2.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  157.7 KB

Woo Hoo found the "highway" to Puntarenas

Name:  Going1.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  114.9 KB

Made to to Puntarenas but it's 4:45......there has to be a ferry around here somewhere...lol

Name:  WherestheFerry.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  67.4 KB

There's the ferry....pay my $2,000 colones..($4 dollars) for a ticket for me and my bike.

Name:  Ferry.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  79.8 KB

Bike is secure.....and the bikes get loaded before cars.

Name:  BikesontheFerry.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  94.1 KB

Well, we're off to the pennisula.....I hope I can find Montezuma tonight in the dark.....no more pics for Day 1.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Costa Rica Ride Report

very nice!!!looking forward to the rest of the story.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:53 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Sweet report, you know we are living vicariously through you man. Keep the pics coming.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Keep it comming!

Old 11-27-2007, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member

man thats one place i really want to go ride

Old 11-27-2007, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Day 2

Well I did find Montezuma last night around 10pmand checked in to the first hotel I found.....having no idea where I was....a whopping $25/night....lol

The view from my hotel balcony.

Name:  HotelView.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  101.6 KB

I get a nice local breakfast, load up the bike and head out around 9am...... Montezuma is real nice.

Name:  Montazuma1.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  128.5 KB

Name:  Montazuma2.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  94.0 KB
This is the riding path I took for day 2.......approximately... I was a little lost some of the time, but I had my trusty boating compass...

Good Start...this is Fun!!

Name:  Day2RainForest.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  189.5 KB

First get off!!......probably not the last BTW the pic does not do justice as to how steep that trail was...lol

The rut that knocked me down.

After fighting the bike out of there....I was waaaay hot and winded....oooh a nice cool stream and a good place to take a break from the heat.

Name:  DSC01109.jpg
Size:  175.0 KB

While I was laying there cooling off and having a snack, some monkeys started shaking the trees and even threw some fruit at me......I guess I was in their spot.

Listen to this video I took while laying there.....kinda spooky at first...lol...damn howler monkeys

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t=MOV01107.flv

Nice country

Want a mountain dew in the rain forest....here ya go......a shack in the middle of nowhere.....my "waitress" really seemed to like the bike and the gringo on it.

Name:  DSC01114.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  135.6 KB

This road was a "highway" on my map .....lol

Name:  DSC01111.jpg
Size:  184.6 KB

Another River I crossed

Name:  DSC01115.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  166.3 KB

Woo Hoo the Pacific Coast.....I know where I am now.

Name:  DSC01116.jpg
Size:  101.3 KB

Damn another river crossing....this is getting old. This river was deep in spots and a little fast, I took this pic after crossing.....notice the local police standing by and the guy that stalled his yz in the river lol.

Name:  DSC01118.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  154.6 KB

Thank god ...... I'm shot but I made it to Samara.......damn No Waves!!!! Oh well this is a biking trip, so no surfing.

Name:  DSC01119.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  72.9 KB

Samara was kinda busy and it was tough to get a hotel room ......... so I had to get a delux suite for $35 ..... lol......It was nice thou

Name:  DSC01120.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  81.4 KB

Cooked some food, drank some wine and crashed.

Name:  DSC01124.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  62.7 KB

PS......Finger Mullet Boot drying technique

Name:  DSC01125.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  74.0 KB

Old 11-27-2007, 04:24 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow that looks like the place to be for sure. Did you ever get that I'm in the wrong place feeling? I always wondered about being in a different country.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Sweet! If there's a next time, don't miss heading northwest to Arenal Volcano and hot springs resort (more like a hot river). It's regularly active and the hot springs is a great place to soothe those aching muscles and bones.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Deej, never........but I have traveled a lot and I ALWAYS buy a matchete after I get out of the airport. .......did ya listen to the video......the howler monkeys got my attention at first until I realized what they were........packs of dogs can be a little un-nerving at times, trust me.

Mooredan....it's only day two .......but I didn't head to Arenal due to reports of the lava being only visible at the "Observatory Hotel" @ $100 + per night and not from La Fortuna......besides I've seen magma plenty of times....namely the big island in Hawaii.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:16 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Great photos and report, Owen!

Quick Reply: Costa Rica Ride Report