Compression/Damping Adjustment Guidance Pleeeease !

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Compression/Damping Adjustment Guidance Pleeeease !

I see were the owners manual gives the stock adjustment as 'x' number of clicks out, but it DOESN'T say what direction of screwing does what. Adjustments:

Front Compression
Rear Compression
Rear Rebound

Tell me what way does what !

Old 05-05-2006, 06:01 AM
Default RE: Compression/Damping Adjustment Guidance Pleeeease !

All shock and fork dampeneing adjustments on all motorcycles ('m not aware of any exceptions) are right hand threaded needle valves. That means if you turn in clockwise (in), it will close the valve and increase the amount of damening by restricting oil flow as the piston moves giving more control and firmer ride. If you open the valve, turn CCW (out) it will reduce the dampening and provide less control or a softer ride.

As a general rule, you want as little dampening as possible to maintain control and prevent bottoming out of the suspension. Remember the springs d oall teh work, the shock just controls how quickly it's allowed to move and prevent bouncing.

Ever riddne in a older Jeep? That's what happenes if you have almost no dampening on you motorcycle... you bounce. Ever seen a hardtail harley? it has no rear suspension... that's what happens if you have wayy too much dampening, nothing moves. The adjusters only allow a small range of adjustment between those two extremes.

Old 05-05-2006, 03:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, that is an extremely interesting topic for sure.

How would you adjust the rear spring height on the shock? Is there a standard for that? I have it adjusted the spin rings up (obout 1/4 down on the threads) just so that my short legs aren't so far off the ground when I sit on it. I was thinking of increasing the compression a click or two to make up for this 'softer' setting.

I am VERY inclined to mechanical things, 25+ years of wrenching experience. But I WILL admit this dirt bike suspension issue is still confusing me a bit....I appreciate your time in explaining.

Old 05-05-2006, 04:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's a link that might help with the sag adjustment. But remember the spring should not be adjusted for your height. It should be adjusted for the proper sag (3 1/2" -4 "). You could use lowering links if needed.

Try this: http://www.planetklx.com/techtips/sag.shtml

Old 05-05-2006, 06:23 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sullydirt

Here's a link that might help with the sag adjustment. But remember the spring should not be adjusted for your height. It should be adjusted for the proper sag (3 1/2" -4 "). You could use lowering links if needed.

Try this: http://www.planetklx.com/techtips/sag.shtml
Yeah, I knew that wasn't for adjusting to make it easier to get on ! But it's that easy? Adjust it so when I sit on it with my feet off the ground it goes down 3.5 to 4 inches from the unweighted height? Heck, I'll just do that for the 4 inches and work on becoming a better rider. I'm 5' 8", not THAT short, it's just that at my age (41) getting the right foot over the front (pelican box in back) is pretty hard, I scrape the seat every time. I was just hoping to get a 1/2 inch or so to help in real slow tight muddy conditions where I can't rely on speed and the rear tire spinning to keep me up ! That's where I sometimes fall over....more embarrasing than anything else [&o]

Old 05-06-2006, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

I used the kouba links and they work great, they come in three different sizes.I use to be on my tippy toes but now I am almost flat footed. they were $80 bucks shipped to my door. go to www. Koubalinks.com

Old 05-06-2006, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks to all, between those Kouba links and the Planet KLX guidance, I should be rippin soon !