commuters weigh in

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default commuters weigh in

Thought it would be nicestart a thread and hear from the few of us daily commuters that ride are bikes 80 street/20 dirt. What mods did you do? What tires are you running? What accesories did you throw on? What helmet are you using?...whatever's of interest to you. I'll go first...

-07 bike, one week old
-no mods yet... plan on rejet, snorkel, and either hmf or klx 300 exhaust (stock gears fine?)
-wolfman enduro tank bag and pelican 1300 on the way
-fox mx helmet, can't find a ff street that vents enough for the desert and fits my charlie brown head

Old 06-27-2007, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: commuters weigh in

I ride 52 miles round trip. 20 miles is freeway (round trip). I run a modified stock pipe, TW301 and TW302 tires, a 13tCS sprocket,and use a jet kit that I bought for a KLX300.

I am in the progress of adding my Clarke tank and I hope to be able to make two full trips with enough gas to find a gas station on the next trip in.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 Also I'd like to see more Mods for cosmetic changes.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll weigh in. Mods are in my signature, except they now include a 13 tooth front sprocket. I have a 32 mile commute daily, probably 10 miles or so is in a 55 mph zone so I run 60-65 indicated. I put 4000 miles on the stock front tire and swapped it for a Kenda 776F 80/20 dirt tire biased DOT nobby. The stock rear was toast at 2000, swapped for a Cheng Shin C858, 3/4 toast at 4000 (total) miles, swapped for a 100/100-18 Kenda Trackmaster.

Current tire and gearing setup is kinda buzzy on the road but being that the summer weather is nice and I'm newly single, the dirt tires were in order. The gearing change does make it buzzy above 60 but allows for 6th gear passing now. Anything from 45mph and I can just roll on it in 6th and cruise by traffic up until I get to 75mph and it starts to get weak.

I have 400 miles on the current tires and the front still has evidence of the fuzzy mold things on the center treads and the rear is starting to show signs of wear, the **** aren't sharp edged anymore. Overall though I'm quite happy with this setup right now.

Side note, Its 16 miles of pavement to get to work but on the way home I can hit a couple trails that add up to ~3 miles of dirt/mud on the way home.

I use one of those 15x15 (roughly) bungee nets to secure my lunchbag to the rear rack and thats all I need to bring with me for my desk job.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:43 AM

24.3 GPS miles one way to work, mix of 25, 35, 45, and 50MPH zones (could use freeway at 65MPH, but a bit much when I tested it). Takes me about 40 minutes, several stop lights, country roads, and the work parking lot (yuck!). I use a backpack to bring my brown bag lunch. Mods in signature, stock tires seem to be holding up OK now at 500+ miles.

I recently got the 2 Brothers slip on, thought it was loud enough to get harassed, so I bought the P3 PowerTip, but am dissapointed in that. Both in too much noise reduction as well as loss of performance. Probably will back that mod out.

Love the bike, tho!

Donnie

Old 06-28-2007, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

I commute on my KLX, need more power; especially on the street--big bore on its way. Dual sport tires are always a compromise--all the time. I am tracking down some extra wheels to run rull street & full knobbies.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:06 AM

I end up riding mostly street of dirt roads. I went with Kenda 270's for a smoother ride, and longer like.

To make this the perfect commuter.... it needs the following...

Fuel injection with autochoke
small windscreen
1" less suspension travel,for 0.5" lower seat height.
3 gallon fuel tank... with low fuel light... get rid of the stupid petcock.
Better seat
Better passenger foot pegs
Wider bars

Old 06-28-2007, 05:05 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well if you consider 1.8 miles a commute, I'll chime in here. I run 13-45 gears, Muzzy, jetting, air box lid off. I also wear an MX helmet because it goes with the bike. Scott goggles and fox gloves. Fieldsheer jacket with armor. Suspension maxed, and it works fine for me since I'm not planning on jumping anyway. I am still on the stock 603 front tire at 5400 miles and it still looks to be close to 50% left. The back is the second tire, its the Dunlop 606 and has 3500 miles and still has 50% left. I ride a lot around town, some on the single track and a lot of gravel roads (behind gates) I also corner pretty hard and that's probably why the 606 has lasted so long, hard cornering takes the surface wear away from the center and so it evens everything out. Oh and remember a clean bike is a faster bike. Well maybe not but I had to throw that in there.[8D]

Old 06-28-2007, 05:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Almost stock 06'KLX250s. 12 miles round trip w/ 45mph being the top speed limit, 23-35mph average. Kenda K270's front and rear @ 2,000miles, stock Dunlop 603 were bald. Front shock stiffen to 4 clicks out.

Coming weekendupgrades is Royal Purple Max-Cycle 10w-40& NGK Iridium CR8EIX spark plug.

Future upgrades, Wolfman's Endro Tool Kit bag and Summit Saddle bag.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:15 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KLXer

I commute on my KLX, need more power; especially on the street--big bore on its way. Dual sport tires are always a compromise--all the time. I am tracking down some extra wheels to run rull street & full knobbies.
Amen to that! My brain saystells megetanother set of wheels/tires, but my pocket book says wait. Bigger tank and large bore kit must come first[8D]

Quick Reply: commuters weigh in