Clutch, Brake adjustments?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Default Clutch, Brake adjustments?

Again, Noobie here
I apologize if I am getting on anyones nerves by asking these ignorant questions, but I don't have experience in this and don't want mess up my bike experimenting with it.
When I go riding, it feels like i have to over reach to grab the clutch or front brakes, is this something that I have to get used to, or do you guys adjust them to meet your own personal needs? WHen I grab the clutch I tend to use all my fingers, and when I squeeze the front break I use 2 fingers, is this proper practice? I have been practing slow racing like crazy to absolutley know my friction zone, I've been trying to go 2 mph and make turns, its hard, but I've got the jist of it[sm=smiley32.gif].

Old 03-01-2006, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Clutch, Brake adjustments?

Hello again icabiker, It is all in personal preference on how you want these 2 items possitioned. And if you are having a problem reaching do to lever bend you can obtain different levers to fit your needs. Again hope this info helps

Old 03-01-2006, 09:27 PM

bikes come to dealers only 40-50% assembled. Things like that are all assembled by the service tech at the dealer you purchased your machine from and should be adjusted to fit your needs

Old 03-02-2006, 05:20 AM

the levers on this bike are not the adjustable kind. The best bet is to search some online parts stores or the "Parts Unlimited" catalog at your dealer and get some different shaped levers as mentioned above. I have small hands, but like these levers because they are much closer to the bar than the huge levers on the sportbikes I was used to riding.

I personally think 2 fingers is a good technique for braking. Modern brakes system have plenty of power and it allows you to use the other 3 fingers to keep a firm grip on the bars and blip the throttle to match revs on downshifts. This reduces clutch wear and rea wheel lock-up when compression (engine) braking. MSF Classes will tell you to use 3 or 4 fingers I think. I've even heard of people losing points. I can almost gurantee that most if not all use 2 fingers. I've heard some will use their middle 2 fingers to get closer to the end of the lever. I think 2 fingers also keeps you from using too much sudden brake force accidentally in an emergency situation. ON a motorcycle... the best thing ot learn, is not to rely on your brakes in an emergency, and use steering instead. You can turn while braking as easily as you can in a car.

Congratulations on practicing slow manuvers to the extreme. Good balance is very improtant to all aspects of riding. This is definitely the best way to learn. Gettign a feel for the clutch by using as little throttle as possible I how I've always taught people ot drive a manual transmission. Bad drivers get in the habit of meorizing a simple motion or pattern, and don't actually know what they are doing or what each control does.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:39 AM

the rotation of the handle is adjustable but the distance from grip to lever is not

Old 03-02-2006, 07:51 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: idmonte

the rotation of the handle is adjustable but the distance from grip to lever is not
the brake and clutch freeplay are adjustable, look in the owners manuel

Old 03-02-2006, 08:34 PM

freeplay and lever resting position are not the same. Some levers have spring loaded adjusters to pull the lever in closer to the grip but maintain the same resting position on the brake or clutch. The original question in this thread was that he had to rotate his hands too far forward to use the levers. Loosen the clamp bolts and rotate them to a comfortable position. And yes two finger operation of the levers is the most common.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:05 PM

In normal street operation, even though the use of 2 fingers provides adequate braking pressure, it is strongly recommended to use all 4 fingers. Using all 4 fingers on the brake and cluth levers will enable you to provide more control and you will never get a finger stuck between the brake or clutch lever in an emergency situation.