Clarke tank install

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Clarke tank install

Hey Bonafide, nice write up, pics, and attention to detail. I like the look of that tank. Way better than those ugly wing tanks that came out last year. I hate to say it, but I just might have to do that one day. But I suppose I would still take my MSR bottles, even if I never need that extra gas.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Very good write up again there bonafide. I'm going to assume that you still have not experienced any leaking?

I'm still very hesitant on getting one, just from fitment woes (and a little leaking problems). I've got the unabiker guards but mooredan was saying hes got the same setup and no fitment issues. (I also have the flange warp problem, but its really not a problem at all).

I also kindof liked having a lock on my gas tank, but then again I never had one on my vehicles and no ones poured sugar into them yet , and I love that theres no vents that go down to the bottom any more.

Also just curious, is it still street legal if its plastic?

Old 11-30-2007, 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: stellar_d

Very good write up again there bonafide. I'm going to assume that you still have not experienced any leaking?
Not so far. I rode down to the gas station ( couple miles ) and topped off my tank yesterday after finishing the install. Today, I had to drop the company car off for work (btw a Dodge Intrepid is a POS). I walked to the GF's work - grabbed her truck and drove home. Loaded the KLX up in the truck - drove it back to her work, unloaded the KLX, and ran a couple errands on my way home. Got about 12 miles her ... still not leaking. I'll get back with you in a month or so as a follow up if you're still interested.

Also just curious, is it still street legal if its plastic?
My STATE doesnt have anything on the books concerning plastic tanks - but - I'm pretty sure it is a federal DOT regulation that street bikes can not be produced unless they have a steel tank. But answer me this - when was the last time you saw a federal DOT agent pull over and inspect a bike or car? .. and I have a friend I served with in the Army who's a ASAC with the Atlanta DOT office. I think I'm safe.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member

cool thanks! yeah I think I'll take the plunge and get one. I dont think cops know what to look for entirely (how could they) on bikes and such. I got pulled over once because he couldnt see my blinkers....until i turned them on to signal i was pulling over. they werent even dot approved.

again good writeup! dig the green.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:17 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Regarding plastic, my KTM has a plastic tank is street legal in all 50 states.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

I was going to say the same thing. IIRC the Aprilia's SXV and SVX both have plastic tanks, among others Im sure.

Good lookin tank. BTW, how many gallons will that hold, and what does the stock tank hold...3?

Awesome writeup!

Old 12-01-2007, 02:47 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

The KTM stock tank is 2.1 gallons and the XC tank is 3.4.

Edit: Oh, I guess you are asking about the Clark tank for the KLX, huh? [&:]

Old 12-01-2007, 03:01 AM

The KTM stock tank is 2.1 gallons and the XC tank is 3.4.

Edit: Oh, I guess you are asking about the Clark tank for the KLX, huh? [&:]
You funny guy!

Old 12-01-2007, 10:34 AM

ORIGINAL: 4SEVEN3

I was going to say the same thing. IIRC the Aprilia's SXV and SVX both have plastic tanks, among others Im sure.

Good lookin tank. BTW, how many gallons will that hold, and what does the stock tank hold...3?

Awesome writeup!
Hmm ... that's interesting. I know the steel tank has something to do with fire prevention if you were to skip it downon blacktop.

Stock tank is 1.9 gal - The Clarke is listed as holding 2.7 gal. I think I mistyped it being 2.9 in my initial post.

It's O-dark-thirty here and I'm loading up to meet a bunch of dual sport riders for the day. I'll be sure to take a camera. Wont be as cool as FM solo riding freaking central america - but I'll get to see how the tank does for the day.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:58 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bonafide

It's O-dark-thirty here and I'm loading up to meet a bunch of dual sport riders for the day. I'll be sure to take a camera. Wont be as cool as FM solo riding freaking central america - but I'll get to see how the tank does for the day.
I know, darnit! That FM is making us all look bad

Quick Reply: Clarke tank install