Checking for loose bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 02:59 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Checking for loose bolts

Cheers,

I just went over my KLX looking for loose bolts. I found the Shift lever to be loost and it would slide in & out on the shaft. Tightend the bolt and it's fine now. I definitely recommend checking all your bolts periodically.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:44 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Checking for loose bolts

http://www.gadgetjq.com/motorcylemaintenancelist.htm

Everyone should print a copy of this and stick it in the garage.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on checking the bolts. I have found many loose/missing bolts on the klx. It was not after thousands of miles either, I don't think that they ae all torqued properly from the factory. An extra 10 min. before riding could save you a long push home.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2k1w=no$

+1 on checking the bolts. I have found many loose/missing bolts on the klx. It was not after thousands of miles either, I don't think that they ae all torqued properly from the factory. An extra 10 min. before riding could save you a long push home.
Right on! I am gonna go over everything again before my next ride. I just pray the Engine was put together right. I had to properly install the seat, Tail Light, and The Shifter so far. I still love the bike but lots of little screw ups so far by the Kawasaki assembly line.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member

My shifter was loose as well, I have gone over the bike many times but failed to check that particular item.

Thanks for the heads up.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:46 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

My shifter was loose as well, I have gone over the bike many times but failed to check that particular item.

Thanks for the heads up.
Awesome, I'm glad My post helped you out. It feels way better without the play in the shifter now too.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Amen, much easier to complete nice smooth shifts while rowing through the gearbox.
My shifter was so loose that I could slide it all the way off the shaft with just a firm tug by hand; I am surprised it didn't end up on the trail somewhere, but that day was approaching fast.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Cool! In a strange way, I'm glad that there's a high chance that bolts will be loose etc... That way real men like us can man up & fix stuff while the yuppies get to pay $250 for oil changes and have parts fall off their bikes etc...Like I said "In a strange way" LOL I guess that's a pretty twisted way to look at it but I get angry when some richie rich buys something I can't afford and can't even change a spark plug. I used to hate working on cars for snobs knowing that I couldn't ever afford it on the money I made fixing them. Almost done......One time this 6'7" 300Lb dude comes back to my Auto repair establishment pitching a fit about not being able to loosen the lug nuts. I grabbed a regular ratchet and socket and with my 150 Lb body I loosened them for him without even breaking a sweat. The trick is to lift with your legs. Okay I'll shut up now.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

im wondering if that comment was made towards me, because trust me, ive had my fair share of working on cars. completely built up many, made others go from street legal to track prep. and have raced sprint cars for 6 years and starting next year will be running stock cars.

just didnt know a few things about this bike and didnt really have the time to sit there and play with it at the moment, the first 1k miles came up REALLY fast. anyway ive figured what i didnt know out by now. dont want you to get the impression that i was a rich kid who bought something and cant change a spark plug. my hands are just as greasy as yours are.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:18 AM

Yes, please check ALL your bolts. I learned from my mistake a few years ago. I had an 89 QuadZilla 500 4 wheeler I just finished redoing, and out in the middle of nowhere riding of course. Flying over a jump and the left foot peg falls off when I land. Then my foot goes straight to the ground and gets sucked under the rear tire and off I go. Luckily it was all sugar sand and I only received a few bruises and scrapes from this violent ejection. LUCKY>....................... PS, use red lock tite on the really imporant stuff......