Changing front sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Ive always been told if i remove the chain i have to replace that little clip and i cant find them anyway. Are they okay to reinstall?
No! They (whoever "they" are) say not to reuse the master clip. Buy new ones...and the only new clips I can ever find are accompanied by the whole master link for several bucks each.

On my '06, with 13/15 & 45 sprockets, I can move the rear wheel all the way forward and simply "roll" the chain off and back on. Just like the old days of riding single-speed bicycles when the chain would derail. Was able to do the same with a 49 rear. But I can see where a particular combination may be tight enough that the chain may not roll off. I did have to "grind" the sprocket on the chain guide a little to get it forward enough with a 15 front at one time.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member

you don't have replace it unless you lose or destroy it. for me it is way easier to get the darn thing off, putting it on I feel like I need 3 hands. I ride to the trail with whatever gear I am going to try on the trail. I only go to a "highway" gear when its going to be a couple of months between trails.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:26 AM
1st Gear Member

I've never had any problems reusing the same master clip a few times. But after that i don't think they close as tight. I bought some extra ones at the bike shop once for $1 a piece. Always good to have extras around.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
I've never had any problems reusing the same master clip a few times. But after that i don't think they close as tight. I bought some extra ones at the bike shop once for $1 a piece. Always good to have extras around.
That's what I think I'll do, I obviously couldn't find any online but I never checked at a cycle gear or bicycle shop. Thanks!

Old 12-11-2013, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I feel like "master" in "master clip" is the title one is given after being able to re-use said clip

I've re-used 'em before in a pinch, wouldn't ride forever on it but will certainly last you the day/week/month it takes to order a new one. If you are feeling unsure, just wrap some stainless tie wire around the clip and twist it tight.

Got that tip from guys at the sportbike shop

Old 12-11-2013, 05:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Definitely try Cycle Gear. There are two in Las Vegas. And get a pair of master link pliers when you go there. Get two pair; one for the garage and one for the trail. I swap the front sprocket because I'm an old guy and run 13 on the front and 48 on the back. That makes it way too slow for the young guys but the only way I can keep from breaking bones on the granite of the Cascades. Easy to swap back to 14 to get more speed for the road. Have to set the chain up so that with the 13 on it the back wheel isn't back all the way and still have too much slack but with 14 in there is 1.4" of play before you get all the way to the front. Not all that hard to do. Need to pack a good breaker bar to get 90 ft-lb on the nut (check that torque; I'm not sure). You should be able to guess at the torque and be close enough to get home or back to the truck after you have done it a couple times with a torque wrench. And I always carry an extra master link.

Last edited by SageGrouse8139; 12-12-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:24 AM
1st Gear Member

I didnt have to split the chain or take wheel off to fit the 15 on my 2010efi.
I did have to remove the metal guard on the sprocket-is that a case saver?
Juust goes under the plastic guard

Old 12-14-2013, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I would like to see a master link you get from a bicycle shop. I have masterlinks for my moto & bicycles, they are not the same. The bicycle ones, although 1/4 the size are about $10 last time I got one. Figures!

Old 12-14-2013, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
I would like to see a master link you get from a bicycle shop. I have masterlinks for my moto & bicycles, they are not the same. The bicycle ones, although 1/4 the size are about $10 last time I got one. Figures!
you never know! they may have specialized bicycles that run motorcycle chains

Old 12-17-2013, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

loosen front sprocket bolt...loosen the rear wheel bolts...loosen or remove the two fine adjustment bolts...push the rear wheel all the way forward (the chain will prevent the wheel from falling off) and temporarily tighten...you have enough slack in the chain to replace the front sprocket now...

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
You get it on and off without have to remove the rear wheel? Please explain, that would make my life so much easier

Quick Reply: Changing front sprocket