Chain Tension Tool

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 04:21 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Chain Tension Tool

I haven't seen anyone post something like this before and I don't remember mentioning it. When I first got my bike I would always have to get the manual out to see what the specs were for chain tension slack. In case your wondering it's 50-60 mm (2007 model) measured at the surface of the swingarm just behind the chain slider with the bike on sidestand.
Anyway, considering I do have a leaky mind, I could never remember this and I figured there had to be a better way.
Well, there is. I used a little piece of flat bar and hacksawed two marks for minimum(50mm) and maximum (60mm).
Looks like this:

So now I don't have to remember any numbers or try finding the measuring tape. Just gotta remember where I put the tool at.
All I gotta do is this:

Nice and easy. Just thought I'd share. It's not patented or nothing so feel free to make your own. Doesn't need to be flat bar...even an old used paint stick cut off will suffice.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:55 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

nifty. i always thought that chain slack was measured by the distance up/down but never thought to measure off the swing arm.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

It is also one of those things that once you've done it a thousand or so times you can just tell, or you can feel a loose chain when riding and know to fix it as soon as you stop.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I like it, hey if you do patent it, can I get a free one?

Old 10-28-2011, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
It is also one of those things that once you've done it a thousand or so times you can just tell, or you can feel a loose chain when riding and know to fix it as soon as you stop.
Yeah but ya gotta do it 999 times right first!

Originally Posted by deej
I like it, hey if you do patent it, can I get a free one?
Ummmm...sure. Ya want the flat bar version or paint stick type?

Old 10-30-2011, 01:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Good idear there relic ! I'd lose track of it too. Paint it a bright color so you can see it better.
Dan

Old 10-31-2011, 11:22 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

That is a great idea.... ill have to make one for the KLX and KLR.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxrelic
I haven't seen anyone post something like this before and I don't remember mentioning it. When I first got my bike I would always have to get the manual out to see what the specs were for chain tension slack. In case your wondering it's 50-60 mm (2007 model) measured at the surface of the swingarm just behind the chain slider with the bike on sidestand.
Anyway, considering I do have a leaky mind, I could never remember this and I figured there had to be a better way.
Well, there is. I used a little piece of flat bar and hacksawed two marks for minimum(50mm) and maximum (60mm).
Looks like this:

So now I don't have to remember any numbers or try finding the measuring tape. Just gotta remember where I put the tool at.
All I gotta do is this:

Nice and easy. Just thought I'd share. It's not patented or nothing so feel free to make your own. Doesn't need to be flat bar...even an old used paint stick cut off will suffice.
I know this thread is kinda old but I hope someone can clear this up for me. The manual for my 09 says, "measure the space between the chain and the swingarm upper surface at the rear of the chain slipper. It should be 35 ~ 45 mm". Directly below this paragraph there is a picture showing the chain being measured from the bottom.

Are they saying I can measure from either place? Wouldn't the allowable "play" for top and bottom be different? Measuring from the bottom is a pain in the butt. I'm probably over thinking this.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kilodelta
"measure the space between the chain and the swingarm upper surface at the rear of the chain slipper. It should be 35 ~ 45 mm".
To me... thats exactly what the picture is representing.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:38 PM
1st Gear Member

In the original post it is 50mm-60mm from the top of the swingarm at the rear of the chain slipper. That is correct on the 06-07.

Quick Reply: Chain Tension Tool