CDI pickup coil timing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: CDI pickup coil timing?

well i don't think you would need to change the advance all that far to get the needed results that we'd like to see.Option one is an offset key for the flywheel.prolly a few degrees would net most of us a decent gain.I'd say 2.5- 4 degrees and it'd prolly be the easiest thing to do.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

MMM.... interesting... we have some smart people on here.... im a mechanical person, not electronic person.... good luck.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:20 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey, that's right up my alley Dan. I can help on the electronics side of stuff but it sounds like you have that part covered. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to the pickup coil question. Here's an interesting and somewhat related project someone posted up on TT - EFI conversion of a DRZ 400. Looks very well done and may be your next step for the KLX.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=497675

Photos on page 3.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm with EMS I'll wrench on anything, but that electrical stuff is way over my head.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

as said ...the offset crank key will suit the need for most folks.I used this on my KT100 race motors and most people laughed at me until they saw that it worked.....You will have to run 93 and + fuel tho i will say that.......prolly preferably 96-100 octane but your performance gain should be signifigant.but eh......what do i know about non adjustable ignitions......

Old 12-28-2007, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Here are some questions about ignition curves:

I'm going to start with the KLX300R spec on the ignition. 5 degrees @ 1700 RPM, 40 degress @ 3000 RPM

- what does the "curve" look like between 1700 RPM and 3000 RPM? ...is it linear or some other shape?

- what about below idle RPM, let's say < 1000 RPM? i.e. engine stopped Should the ignition timing be moved
closer to TDC to enable easy starting? ...or would the 5 degrees before TDC be sufficient?

For Truckman: There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary numbers and those who do not.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I just read this post this what I've been looking for (offset Key) all summer! I'm certain that timing is the key to getting the hp out of my motor.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Another possible option would be to elongate the pickup coil mounting holes and slide it back away from TDC. The problem with this is that the whole curve moves. So the low rpm setting will increase as well -- might make for difficult starting/idling.

I suppose using an offset key would do the same thing.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:17 AM
1st Gear Member

but the auto compression release should help alot with this starting with the timing more advanced....that is if it is still installed on your cam.
For Truckman: There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary numbers and those who do not.
nice one Dan....LOL

Old 01-05-2008, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Hey, that's right up my alley Dan. I can help on the electronics side of stuff but it sounds like you have that part covered.
Brian, right up your alley, eh? I've got the microcontroller (PIC24F) program (ASM30) about 90% done. You're welcome to take a look at it if you want.

Anyone know where I can get the connectors that will mate with the wiring harness at the CDI? I haven't been very lucky in finding automotive connectors, anyone have a source?

Quick Reply: CDI pickup coil timing?