be careful out there

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 03:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default be careful out there

Hi guys,

went for a trail ride today with 3 guys I had never met (only chatted in a forum) we started off having a good day until the guy in front ran into another bike. I didn't have my camera with me so I can't show you the damage but its a good warning to be careful out there. Motorcycling is dangerous and we need to take care. Both riders will be ok, the guy coming towards us got a bit of road rash and a sore foot (t-shirt, shorts, joggers, full face mx helmet) The YZ250 he was riding needs a new expansion chamber, a new engine sidecover and rear brake lever.
The DR650 that was with our group came off worse, the YZ expansion chamber smashed the oil filter cover and casing off the DR and and removed the oil filler from the casing. It also smashed the clutch lever perch, damaged the left handle bar mount, small dents in the metal fuel tank and some other minor cosmetic damage.
The DR rider has a sore leg, grazes on both arm and a sore head, he was ATGATT (all the gear all the time). Even though he was wearing MX boots he has a small puncture in his heal.
This stuff hurts but all I thought about coming back was thank god it was a bike and not a 4WD. truck or car coming round the corner, he really would have been hurting if he hit one of those babys.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:44 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: be careful out there

That's scary stuff man! I look like grandma going around some of the blind corners around here on the trails. Even though that perfect line is on the other side of the trail, I stay on my side and go slow around the blind corners. Like you said, it could have been a lot worse. Stay safe fellow KLX'ers.

Willum
TC

Old 11-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

wow... thats messed up.... how did they not see each other or something? kinda a head on wreck with two bikes .....

Old 11-18-2006, 08:45 PM

How fast were they going? That's pretty crazy stuff. Thank God both riders are both doing good!

Old 11-19-2006, 09:32 AM
1st Gear Member

EMS there is lots of trees and the bloke in our party was going pretty quick, blind corner ... just didn't see him till too late. IMO probably a bit of inexperiance. But I only met him the same day so I don't know what experiance he has.
Ti Bullet we were scooting along pretty well I was hitting 80km (approx 50mph) down the straights so for a guess between 30 - 45 mph. The other guy I don't know like I saw him coming only for a second or so before they hit and he was coming towards me so it's really impossable for me to know. It was very lucky they didn't hit head on and in fact they almost missed but the guy in our group hit the rear brakes and slid the back of the bike out and therefore collected the YZ. It happened very fast.
In a way I wish I had a helmet cam (been thinking about one) not to be goulish but just to replay it and watch how it unfolded.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Glad that both came out of it alright.
The road was what? gravel, sand, shale, pavement, etc?

Old 11-19-2006, 09:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah it was gravel, a forestry road