Be careful out there

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Be careful out there

Just wanted to post a reminder to watch out for the other guy out there on the road. Everybody that rides knows this, but every once in a while you get a little reminder that sharpens your focus on riding defensively. Maybe somebody cuts you off, or almost pulls out in front of you, and it makes you think. I just got a reminder, and I thought I'd share it with all of you. Last saturday, a guy I worked with for about 10 years, was hit and killed by a car. The car didn't see him, and turned in front of him. A good guy dead at age 55. We really weren't any more than co-workers, and I hadn't talked to him since he switched jobs quite a few years ago, but I knew him, and that makes it more than just a name in the paper.
It's early in the riding season (north of the equator at least) and it seems like the cars are really not looking for the bikes yet (if they ever do). Take care out there.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Thats a shame, sorry to hear that. Living in California the riding season is almost year round, its surprising how many people still don't consider looking for the bikes.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Not to defend one view point or the other. I dont think it is a matter of consideration. I think honestly it is a couple of things.

Those of us that ride small displacement bikes on the street are hard to see because our siloutte on the road is very small. Those with large displacement bikes are still not as big as a car. Either way the lack of size makes it easy to blend in. Last year i had a simular situation occur. I have a KLX. I was riding early morning. It was still more dark than light. The women pulled out from a side street out of her driveway and did not even stop at the stop sign before proceeding. She never saw me either. I overted death by inches, as the road i was traveling on is a 45MPH road.

My bike is bright colored but in the dark it does not matter. I have since changed my riding habits. No more riding at night. No more riding on heavy over cast days. No more riding in the rain or extreme cold. These are all times automobile drivers are not expecting to see a motorcyle.

I also wear bright colored clothes when I ride. It is as much the responsability of the rider to make sure the cars see you as it is the cars to look for your presence. Thinking of the mind set that " I am entitled to ride on the road, and those automobile drivers had better look out for me" is the type of attitude that will get you killed. Our bikes are not going to damage the cars, so take the responsability to assume your not being seen by cars and make your presence known. Dont be so proud or feel so entitled that you let your judgment get in the way of knowning when it is safe to ride just because you have not been able to ride for the last several weeks for what ever reason. Knowing when to ride your bike and when to drive your car will keep you alive.

Just my 2 cents on how to stay safe.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

A few things. Loud pipes save lives is not just a slogan, it actually helps. My pipe may be loud, and to some irritating, but you know what...that's too bad. I want to live! High beam all the time, except on night traffic. Tap the brake, and always over the left shoulder head check always. Ride like everyone is out to get you, because that just may save your life. And above all.......above all.....ride the speed limit or less, and stay always within your skill level. Accidents can happen to anyone anytime, but a huge amount of riders hurt or killed were going way too fast. Anytime you can take out reasons that can hurt you, then you are way ahead of the game. They all can add up to giving you a chance out there.

Sorry about the guy that you knew. It's always good reminders like these that make us reevaluate our riding habits. Remember that a large majority of the accidents happen in the firs month of the riding season. Two reasons, riders are out of practice from sitting all winter playing video games or watching sports, and people are not used to seeing bikes on the road. Be careful out there guys.

Motorcycle safety is never overrated. If there was a class closer I would take the advanced one. All new riders, or riders that are just getting back into it after many years should take the MSF classes. Even guys that have been riding for 30 years come out of the class impressed with what they learned.

Thanks again for the reminder. We always hate to hear about this, but if it helps.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:07 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

Here is my contribution....this made me change the way I ride.

Last ye I was stopped at a stop sign...I looked to my left and saw a car approaching. I watched as the driver turned on her signal lite and begin slowing down. ASSUMING that she was turning up the road where I was stopped, I began to pull out and make my left -hand turn. To my surprise she didn't begin to turn and I had to swurve and brake quickly to avoid a collision. She was turning not up the road I was on, but into a gas station just passed the road.

So my advice is be patient and don't try to predict what the other drivers are going to do. Make desicions that involve the least amount of risk.

Hope evryone has a great riding season...and post lots of reports and pics.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Ride like everyone is out to get you, because that just may save your life
I feel the same way.

So my advice is be patient and don't try to predict what the other drivers are going to do. Make decisions that involve the least amount of risk.
Well said!

Hope everyone has a great riding season...and post lots of reports and pics
+1

Plagiarizing at its finest

SlapDrum

Old 04-21-2009, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Assume your invisible and that no-one see's you. That's what they taught us in the safety class.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I do like buffalony, when I ride on the street I have a really bright icon jacket that I wear to make my tiny self more visible. But I drive a little faster than the speed limit when it means I can get away from cars, mainly slow driving SUV drivers on their cell phone. I figure, stay a little ahead and have a little extra space. And as always assume no one sees me.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:19 PM
1st Gear Member

As long as we're sharing life changing motorcycle stories, I'll put my $.02 in.

About 10 years ago I had a 1000cc street bike that was, well, very fast. I was at a four way intersection out in the middle of nowhere at a stop. When the light changed from red to green, I took the bike from 0 to about 80 in just a few seconds. About 1/4 mile up the road, there was a car entering the road I was on from a side street. I'm sure the guy looked left and right but between the time he looked and the time he was in the middle of my road, I was already upon him doing something like 80mph. By the grace of God, I managed to perform some kind of maneuver that allowed me to miss him by inches. I immediately slowed down, pulled over, and got off the bike. My lower back ached so bad I could barely stand. I wasn't injured in any way, it was just my nerves, adrenaline, etc. that somehow constricted my back. After about 10 minutes, I got back on the bike and drove home very slowly.

The entire thing was entirely my own fault and luckily I lived to tell about it. It changed my life and I rarely, if ever, exceed the speed limit on my bike now. I never go WOT from stop signs or stop lights. I always look for traffic that may be entering the road I am on. My head is constantly on a swivel.

I chalk this experience up to my youth at the time and to this day I see people doing the things that I used to do and I hope they live through their younger years. We had a guy drive by my house last week on a sportbike balancing on one wheel. If someone had pulled out of a side street there is no way he could have made a maneuver like I did 10 years ago. He would simply slam into the car and then...who knows.

I am trying to instill some of my "wisdom" on my son and his little 50cc. I hope some of it rubs off.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

+1....
Originally Posted by hancadam
Assume your invisible and that no-one see's you. That's what they taught us in the safety class.

Quick Reply: Be careful out there