Carb reassembly, one quick question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 04:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Question Carb reassembly, one quick question

Just want to make sure I'm doing this right. The needle jet is supposed to stick up into the tube like this, right??

Name:  vuVInlXm.png
Views: 4
Size:  19.8 KB

Old 04-30-2017, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks right to me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cvk+...kxIIM:&spf=174

Last edited by 2veedubs; 04-30-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks good to me, i was just in mine yesterday

Old 05-01-2017, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. I google as much as I can, but I didn't think about finding a picture of the carb guts. Doh! Carb re-jetted, all god.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

FWIW, it is recommended to have the diaphragm in a cup of hot water, I believe to both make it pliable enough and expanded to fit the carb on reassembly. It will shrink and stiffen a bit when left sitting free. Obviously dry it off before installing. It was in a few sites on the KLX jetting and is in the collection of information in my signature. I have used that information too.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
FWIW, it is recommended to have the diaphragm in a cup of hot water, I believe to both make it pliable enough and expanded to fit the carb on reassembly. It will shrink and stiffen a bit when left sitting free. Obviously dry it off before installing. It was in a few sites on the KLX jetting and is in the collection of information in my signature. I have used that information too.

Mark, have you ever done this soak? My experience was that when the diaphragm is cold, it expands and is too pliable. Soaking in HOT water shrinks it slightly and makes it a little stiffer so that it will seat in the groove, making installation MUCH easier. It's just the opposite from what you described and opposite of what we'd expect for soaking a synthetic material in hot water. Most of my carb work on this one was done in a chilly garage during winter time.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Soaking in HOT water shrinks it slightly...
That was my experience when working on the CVK. Had to soak the diaphragm in hot water to shrink it enough to line up in it's grove. Or just let it sit and dry out (>24 hours, iirc) and it would also shrink back to the correct size.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Go get some mystik#2 or Mobile 1 red sticky grease, lay a thin bead in the "groove" place diaphram in it and it will "stick" in place.

Takes 30 seconds, works like a charm everytime, no need to boil water and do stopwatch time trial assembly...haha

Old 05-03-2017, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Mark, have you ever done this soak? My experience was that when the diaphragm is cold, it expands and is too pliable. Soaking in HOT water shrinks it slightly and makes it a little stiffer so that it will seat in the groove, making installation MUCH easier. It's just the opposite from what you described and opposite of what we'd expect for soaking a synthetic material in hot water. Most of my carb work on this one was done in a chilly garage during winter time.
Don't know what it did, just know I didn't have the problems with sealing. We did it once when we tried shimming the stock needle and again when I installed the KLX300 needle. It may shrink it, but whatever it did it worked fine. My brother got the tip on line and I think Pippin recommended it too.

I do one other thing dealing with gaskets, when I did my valves and had to wait for shims I reinstalled the cam cap just barely snug, then bolted the cam cover down lightly to hold the gasket form proper. Seems it wants to screw up if not kept in place, per others' experience.

I took their word for it on the carb and did the cam cover because it made sense to me... plus nothing gets inside.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jabara572
Go get some mystik#2 or Mobile 1 red sticky grease, lay a thin bead in the "groove" place diaphram in it and it will "stick" in place.

Takes 30 seconds, works like a charm everytime, no need to boil water and do stopwatch time trial assembly...haha
hot tap water and no big rush, just don't sit around with thumbs stuck, do the job. Had it in a cup o' hot water on the bench while I got the other stuff ready, then did the job, no problems and no greasy finger prints.

Just don't make a cup of coffee or soup with the water, it may have some cooties in it.