Carb Mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 09:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Carb Mod

You can equate me with a wrench to children with guns. I'm trying to get the carb off to install the new jets. Most everything is loose except for the throttle sensor (cannot find anything to remove the two nuts) What fits them? And to prove I'm not a mechanical person, how do you remove the two throttle cables at the carb? All advise will be appreciated. You can laugh if you must.

Old 02-03-2007, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Carb Mod

The throttle position sensor doesn't need to physically be removed from the carb, just follow the wires back to where they end in a couple and just unplug it. The throttle cables can be removed by taking all the tension off the cable bye first loosening the adjuster nut by the twist grip, screwing in the long barrel bolt. Then you do the same procedure down on the carb, loosen the adjuster nut and screw in the long bolt. That should give you all the slack you need to get the "pull" cable out, after that one is out the "push" cable should come out by moving the carb. the opposite way of the twist grip and with the slack you get you should be able to push the barrel on the cable out of its holder. Reinstallation is the same, the throttle "pull" cable can be a bit of a pain sometimes but I found that just pulling a bit harder on it will get it to slip back into position.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

This is what your looking for as the break point that bryantjt is talking about:
Name:  CopyofDavebikepictures004.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  55.3 KB

Hope that helps...

Old 02-03-2007, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Thank you. Getting closer. Disconnected the throttle sensor and both throttle cables. Having trouble getting the carb out. Do you only need to loosen the clamps on both sides of the carb on the rubber hoses? Have them both loose but It looks like I need a bigger hammer....

Old 02-04-2007, 12:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Forward of the front rubber carb boot there is two allen bolts thathold the hose fixture to the cylinder. Do I need to loosen them or just the rubber hose clamp?

Old 02-04-2007, 12:49 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Just the rubber boots. Try rotating the carb a little, twist and pull ... the boot should flex and eventually give. No one seems to enjoy the chore of removing the carb so you are not alone.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

It's out.Will I ever get it back in ? "I'll be back". That's a Arnold thing.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:06 AM

The bad news, is that it's much harder to get back in correctly. I've taken it on and off about 5 times rejetting. It doesn't get much easier with preactice. The throttle cables seem to be the biggest nuisance after getting the rubber boots inserted.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member

The rubber hose between the air box and carby can be a PITA sometimes. It's purposely made firm to help support the carb, so it doesn't flex much at all. The rest is a calk walk, IMO.

ORIGINAL: Fishfinder

It's out.Will I ever get it back in ? "I'll be back". That's a Arnold thing.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Just a quick reminder..

When you go to put the carb back in, remember that on the back rubberair intake(from the air filter)there isa little notch inthe rubberthat the back of the carb (small protruding notch on the carb)sets into. Onceit’sin the notch, it’s in the exact correct spot, and you can tighten the hose clamps....

Quick Reply: Carb Mod