can't get my 09 klx to start

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Default can't get my 09 klx to start

i have spark and fuel. changed the plug. any ideas?

Old 12-04-2012, 10:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6InARowMakesItGo
i have spark and fuel. changed the plug. any ideas?
I would flip your killswitch on and off a few times to rule that out and then check clutch and sidestand switches.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Before I took out the kickstand switch, my bike would randomly cut out on the road. Sometimes it wouldn't start either without putting the stand up and down.
Do what Wildcard said. If it was running and now just isn't, it's simple.
If that doesn't work...
Drain the carb, try again...
Maybe try another spark plug. I've put in more than one bad plug.
Good luck.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:56 PM

yep the carb was full of gas. like very full. problem solved thanks all.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:05 AM
1st Gear Member

cold weather makes a lean jetting condition even worse. If you can adjust your idle jet screw out 1/2 a turn it will help. This is the screw hidden under the steel cap under the carb.You have to pull the carb ,remove cover, then adjust screw. I got a kouba t handle screw so it's super easy to adjust as the weather changes. Be sure to wrap the threads several times with teflon tape to help prevent leaks or vibrating out.

"T"-Handle FuelscrewAir/Fuelscrews

Old 12-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well since you are new here I'll share this with you. Please try this, and report back.

Here is what you do if you forgot to do the procedure below.

You can turn off the gas and drain the carb bowl, but this is easier and faster, give this a try. Go outside in the gravel or somewhere that you dont care if a little gas gets on the ground. Make sure the gas is on, Lay the bike over for 15 seconds, don't worry about the small amount of gas leaking out of the carb. Stand the bike back up, and start it up.

This is what you do the next time you ride so you dont have to spill gas on the ground.

Shut down procedure.

1. After riding as you are pulling into your driveway, or to speed things up you can do this a block from your house, turn off the gas.
2. Let the bike run until it actually dies from gas starvation, (this may take 2-5 minutes) But that's ok it will give you time to put away your gear.
3. Park it and now you're ready for the next time you ride whether that be in a day, or a month.

Start up procedure.

1. Turn on the gas
2. Wait for 10 seconds
3. Start the bike as you always do

Here is a good read. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...tarting-10730/

Another good one.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...rt-posts-8652/

Old 12-05-2012, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Now all that being said, there is an actual mechanical fix to this, so as soon as someone comes on here and tells you what to drill out on the carb, then do that. I may do that someday as well, but for me and my situation, I will just do it this way.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I moved my bike from the barn last Friday, it was about 20 F up here... the bike has been sitting for almost a month. I'm supa lazy and never shut the gas off and ran the carb dry, which is admittedly the best method for avoiding difficult starts.

Anyway, when I went in the barn to fire the bike up to move it in the garage for the winter the thing was turning over like a slug and the instrument dash was fading in and out... my drilled choke jet and pre-shaking of the bike with the front brake and fork pumping action was of no use this time.

I figured I would need to pull the battery and charge it, so I left the bike there for the night and planned to deal with it the next day. When I got back home the next night I figured I'd try it one more time before I forced myself to go through the work of pulling the battery... but this time I did something different.

I decided to hold the front brake and pump the forks again, but this time I did it as I was turning the bike over with the choke on... to my surprise the bike was sputtering with every down stroke of the forks (and this battery was seriously dead, I could practically count the crank revs and watch the dash go black with every pulse).
After three or so down sputters the bike miraculously fired up :-0

Long story short I learned and better method to start the KLX than I had known prior :-)

Old 12-05-2012, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Interesting, I will admit with some difficulty, if you pull the choke out real slow sometimes it will sputter enough times and finally start. I have used this method a few times, but you have to keep doing it till the life comes back in and unless you have a fully charged battery in good condition, you will run the battery down before it starts.