Can you AFFORD IT>>>>>>>>>>

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Can you AFFORD IT>>>>>>>>>>

I had a long conversation with the bride about finance!!

She clearly believes we cannot afford the $6000 it cost me for this wonderful machine!

Now I've recently found a new look on life,.... finance...... and the american way......

No, I did not pay cash..I financed 100% of the bike,,, WHY..because I did not have the cash......

But why should I, a hard working man, be deprived of this simple luxury because I can't afford it????

I've lived too long not enjoying things because I was looking at the big picture....well, the big picture is this......

Enjoy it now, cuz you can't later.... I mean.... am I wrong??????????

now perhaps this bike is just a metaphor to explain bigger things; but I gotta believe we all should be able to enjoy things without regard to the simple monetary implications.

People are on this board 24/7 posting topics about this and that......but we all have one thing in common.......

This KLx250..................it's gotta mean something

Maybe I'm just CRAZY from the 3 liters of forest glen and that red headed ball of fire that seems to be my financial consultant......but I'm looking to see who's on the same page......................

Be Safe
Dave

Old 12-08-2006, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Can you AFFORD IT>>>>>>>>>>

moral of the story: dont get married, it eats more $ than Gas in a 1967 '[sm=alcoholic.gif]stang

Old 12-08-2006, 03:35 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

You can always do what I did.......I bought my wife a bike. Now she can't be mad at me for getting my bike......right? Actually I can still remember the day in June when she came to me and said, and I quote, "you know I'm getting tired of hearing how much fun and how many places your discovering, I want my own bike." [sm=yikesomg.gif][sm=yikesomg.gif][sm=yikesomg.gif]

Old 12-08-2006, 06:27 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

My SO and I have a little unwritten agreement - I get something I want, she gets something she wants of roughly equal value. Maybe not at the same time, but we sort'a take turns. We don't have to approve each other's stuff, though there is also the power of veto. But be careful with veto - that works both ways. Neither of us have ever had to exercised veto power in our 16 years.

This works well for us. We generally save up until we can afford whatever it is we are wanting - credit card interest is killer, avoid it at all cost. It might take a while in saving up, but the act of waiting generally weeds out the fickle wants from the gotta have wants. The KLX was a "gotta have", yes sir. [sm=icon_ladiesman.gif] [sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 12-08-2006, 07:14 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Please tell me that SO means Significant other and that means you're wife

Old 12-08-2006, 07:25 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Of course!

What did you think it meant? [:@]

Don't answer that ... [&:]

Old 12-08-2006, 07:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Double D,

The way I look at it, life is full of good and bad days, good and bad years etc... If you're going to finance something like this to give yourself a litlle bit of happiness than why not, just look for a way to pay it off quickly. It's not a huge sum of money, but owning toys outright gives you the ability to buy more toys

I drive a 12 year old car so I can have extra cash for the things I want. I have pleny of friends who drive 30-40K cars/trucks and give me a hard time about my bikes. I also have a freind who brings up the fact that having two bikes in my garage is a waste, because I can only ride one at a time. Yet, today he bought a 20 year old Harley for more than my two bikes put together. To each is own.

My advice, tell your fiance this is important to you and you need to have something in your life which makes you happy. She will understand or not? Good luck, I'm gonna go give my girlfriend a hug for no apparant reason.

BTW, when is the wedding? Can I come?

Old 12-08-2006, 03:56 PM
1st Gear Member

She WAS a Fiance 8 years 2 kids ago, now she is Master and Ruler of all that is sacred!!!!!

I have the bike and she isn't the real problem, she actually wants to learn to ride...........

I was just saying "in general", enjoy it now,,,,pay later!!!

Old 12-08-2006, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm doing the same thing but got lucky and found a used one for sale. This made it much easier for me with the wife because of lower cost. I pick the bike up tomorrow morning. I'm looking forward to riding the bike and getting lots of info from the board. I also live in NJ so will have to get a ride going.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:24 PM

Sulldirt,

If you have friends that tell you having 2 bikes in the garage is a waste, what do you think I hear about my 6 bikes!

Heck, about the only one I don't get any grief from about the bikes is my dear wife. I guess she would much rather have me out in the garage tinkering on the bikes then sitting in a bar somewhere tinkering on some gal!

On the "other" category of motorcycles - Non brand specific here - I have many friends that own a single, high dollar motorcycle. Many of them are always teasing me about the fact that I have to have so many different bikes just to do what their one bike will do. Of course I will invite them on a ride, usually with a challege about who buys dinner or whatever. Well, believe you me when I pull the KLX out, their mouths are salivating about me buying dinner at the end of the ride. Of course, road selection plays a large part in this - usually they aren't that stupid as when they see the KLX come out, they usually rule out dirt roads or any unpaved roads - but I have some very tight, twisty roads where the KLX will rule whatever it is they're riding.

Kind of like my own little version of the show "PINKS" except I kind of think of it as "FREE DINNER". That steak always tastes so good when someone else is buying!

Quick Reply: Can you AFFORD IT>>>>>>>>>>