Cam chain rattling

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 05:12 AM
1st Gear Member

So does it still happen, even after changing the oil?

I used to have a KDX that made a similar noise to your description, but only on a couple of occasions. The most memorable was about the first startup right after a top end rebuild, where the bottom had been drained of oil for a month or two. In that case I believed it to be related to sticky or poorly lubricated clutch plates.

If it continues, I would check into it further. If it never happens again, I might not worry about it.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lutz
So does it still happen, even after changing the oil?

I used to have a KDX that made a similar noise to your description, but only on a couple of occasions. The most memorable was about the first startup right after a top end rebuild, where the bottom had been drained of oil for a month or two. In that case I believed it to be related to sticky or poorly lubricated clutch plates.

If it continues, I would check into it further. If it never happens again, I might not worry about it.
That's my best description of what I think it may be. It sounds like two plates of steel being ground up against each other. I haven't rode the bike much since I changed the oil(only about 2 minutes to get the oil circulating properly). Do the clutch plates spin even if the bike is not in gear? It makes best sense that is the issue because it happens after the bike has been sitting and all the oil is collecting at the bottom.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

It dosen't sound like your cam chain, you may hear that once you get some more miles on it. It does sound like it might be in the clutch but it may go away hopefully.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
It dosen't sound like your cam chain, you may hear that once you get some more miles on it. It does sound like it might be in the clutch but it may go away hopefully.
I sure hope so. And if it is my clutch - no big deal. I'll use this as an opportunity to replace my shift star to the newer design. The bike was already a hassle to get into first gear downshifting.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Recording of bike noise

Listen closely and you can definitely hear the noise I described. It is at the very end each time I let off the gas. This is off of the first start of the day by the way.

Bike Noise.WMA

Old 09-30-2011, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

By the way the above is a recording or my bike starting up.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I hear a constant chirping noise. Is that it, or is that a low quality recording? Can't tell.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
I hear a constant chirping noise. Is that it, or is that a low quality recording? Can't tell.
I think that's the quality. The only sound that I'm hearing is when I drop the throttle when it's coming back to idle

Old 10-01-2011, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
I think that's the quality. The only sound that I'm hearing is when I drop the throttle when it's coming back to idle
I think I hear it. Resembles the noise one makes with a wet finger on the border of a glass, if you know what I mean. It is at the very end of engine decel, is it?

To my not so trained ears, it is not cam chain noise. I would probably remove the clutch cover to ascertain everything is in good order there. Next would be to get the advice of a mechanics.

Good luck!

Old 10-01-2011, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RayCour
I think I hear it. Resembles the noise one makes with a wet finger on the border of a glass, if you know what I mean. It is at the very end of engine decel, is it?

To my not so trained ears, it is not cam chain noise. I would probably remove the clutch cover to ascertain everything is in good order there. Next would be to get the advice of a mechanics.

Good luck!
Yep! I That's the noise you're hearing! I'll wait for a mechanics to listen and see what he says.

Quick Reply: Cam chain rattling