Calling all Tusk D-Flex owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Calling all Tusk D-Flex owners

Did your pack come with screws to attach the plastic to the metal guards? I'm in denial about misplacing them, but at the same time I can't believe they'd ship without these screws.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, mine came with screws to attach the plastic pieces. It wouldn't surprise me if they did forget the screws. They sent some odd-ball inner brackets that were not slotted, and everyone else's D-Flex came with slotted inner brackets... which is why I used my dad's (since he had to buy fat-bar adapters).

What color did you go with?

Old 10-06-2008, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
Yes, mine came with screws to attach the plastic pieces. It wouldn't surprise me if they did forget the screws. They sent some odd-ball inner brackets that were not slotted, and everyone else's D-Flex came with slotted inner brackets... which is why I used my dad's (since he had to buy fat-bar adapters).

What color did you go with?
Black, with red grips, red handlebars. I wanted black grips. I was in a bind and I needed to get somewhere so I just picked up the red ones.

It took longer than I thought, but heating up the levers over the stove and bending actually worked pretty well. I then used a hacksaw to cut off the ball ends. After that I used a Dremel to round off any sharp ends on the lever.

Ron Ayers levers are on back order for 2 weeks. They never let me know until a week after I ordered. Good prices, not impressed with their customer service. I'll give em another chance.

I'll get some picks up. Right now I have some black gaffers tape securing the plastic. Ghetto rig for sure.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
Did your pack come with screws to attach the plastic to the metal guards? I'm in denial about misplacing them, but at the same time I can't believe they'd ship without these screws.
Got mine in early June and they were complete with all necessary hardware. I diddled a bit with my throttle and clutch controls so I wouldn't have to mod the levers.

As luck would have it I haven't (thankfully) had the occasion to test their durability but overall they seem pretty sturdy...

Old 10-07-2008, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xerxes

As luck would have it I haven't (thankfully) had the occasion to test their durability but overall they seem pretty sturdy...
I have...

Name:  d1be8cdb.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  116.0 KB

Around 15 MPH or so, sand on concrete pwns all. Saved another clutch lever and my hand.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I have...

Around 15 MPH or so, sand on concrete pwns all. Saved another clutch lever and my hand.
I've searched all over, I can't find these screws. Does anyone have the approximate measurements?

Old 10-07-2008, 11:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Sure, I got ya buddy

1/2" long with ~ 3/8" head, looks like this:

Long as it has a big enough head to hold the plastic, and isn't too long, it'll be OK.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Sure, I got ya buddy

1/2" long with ~ 3/8" head, looks like this:

Long as it has a big enough head to hold the plastic, and isn't too long, it'll be OK.
You da man!!! I got some computer screws that should do the trick.

No pics yet, but I tweaked the install on the left side. The left brake line rubs quite a bit, so I used some gaffer tape and ghetto protected it. It was wearing through the protective rubber. I never noticed that the brake line jumps up on compression. I'm not sure what I did.

Now I need to correct the ultra loose throttle play. Also when holding the throttle open, and going all the way left or right, the throttle jumps 2-5k rpm's. Those two cable seem pretty tight.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000

No pics yet, but I tweaked the install on the left side. The left brake line rubs quite a bit, so I used some gaffer tape and ghetto protected it. It was wearing through the protective rubber. I never noticed that the brake line jumps up on compression. I'm not sure what I did.
Glad I could help.

As per your brakeline issue... I had the same problem... except on the other side. We just wrapped some electrical tape around the cable for now... my dad's a copy machine tech and he scored some real insulation for when the electrical tape wears through. Also, we had to pivot the cable tube holder (that plastic piece that guides the cable and used to have the reflector). They're a universal application, there's gonna be some tweaking involved.

Now post up some pics!

Old 10-10-2008, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

sorry to thread jack but has anyone tried these,, thats what Im wanting

https://www.chaparral-racing.com/Cha...048A27046E9959

Quick Reply: Calling all Tusk D-Flex owners