Calling all KLXers

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 04:07 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Calling all KLXers

So do you guys think we should add an inline filter off the tank?

Old 03-15-2007, 04:17 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Its too warm for carb icing, besides I've ridden in 0 weather and 100 degrees and have never had a problem.Turning up the idle won't fix the problem, it just makes it idle faster when there is nothing wrong with it. That's just treating a symptom not the root cause of the problem. But thanks for the ideas. I am going to start with cleaning out the bowl and see what happens.
Just a note on carb icing, since you're trying to rule out all possibilities. Carb ice can occur even in 60+ degree temps. Fuel vaporization takes approximately 34 degrees from it's surroundings. That's why it feels cold on your hand. (Forgive me if you already know all this, but it could be pertinent.)
That vaporization process leaves resident fuel moisture at 32 degrees at the carb inlet. Viola! Carb inlet ice. Airplanes and older, carb equipped automobiles are equipped to deal with this with manual or automatic carb heat devices. When carb ice occurrs, it's often a mystery...sometimes only happens during ideal circumstances of temperature, humidity, riding...driving or flying conditions. Not that there's a lot you can do about it on a motorcycle, but it can make you feel better if you don't find out what caused it otherwise. One indicator if that's happening is to wait a few minutes after it dies for engine heat to back up through the carb a bit and melt it out. Doesn't take long either. Then, when you restart the bike, if it runs perfectly, you may well have diagnosed the problem. Maybe Gerbings should build us a carb blanket...

Good luck.
Bill Dragoo
www.rideok.com

Old 03-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shadetree

ORIGINAL: deej

Its too warm for carb icing, besides I've ridden in 0 weather and 100 degrees and have never had a problem.Turning up the idle won't fix the problem, it just makes it idle faster when there is nothing wrong with it. That's just treating a symptom not the root cause of the problem. But thanks for the ideas. I am going to start with cleaning out the bowl and see what happens.
Just a note on carb icing, since you're trying to rule out all possibilities. Carb ice can occur even in 60+ degree temps. Fuel vaporization takes approximately 34 degrees from it's surroundings. That's why it feels cold on your hand. (Forgive me if you already know all this, but it could be pertinent.)
That vaporization process leaves resident fuel moisture at 32 degrees at the carb inlet. Viola! Carb inlet ice. Airplanes and older, carb equipped automobiles are equipped to deal with this with manual or automatic carb heat devices. When carb ice occurrs, it's often a mystery...sometimes only happens during ideal circumstances of temperature, humidity, riding...driving or flying conditions. Not that there's a lot you can do about it on a motorcycle, but it can make you feel better if you don't find out what caused it otherwise. One indicator if that's happening is to wait a few minutes after it dies for engine heat to back up through the carb a bit and melt it out. Doesn't take long either. Then, when you restart the bike, if it runs perfectly, you may well have diagnosed the problem. Maybe Gerbings should build us a carb blanket...

Good luck.
Bill Dragoo
www.rideok.com
Hmmmm, well perhaps I shouldn't rule out carb icing, its just hard to imagine that because we get so much rain here and cold weather and hot and moist all year long, and the fact that I ride in all of that weather and humidity conditions that this has never happened before. As most of you know I bought the bike back in November of 2005, cold, hot, rain, fog, I ride in it all, so for this to show up now, something has had to change or been introduced, and I don't really think its outside the bike. But I am still not going to rule it out, especially since there are all of you great guys that are just trying to help, and after all I did ask for help, so thanks everyone.[sm=thanx.gif]Plus as much as I pretend to know about this bike, the truth of the matter is I have been out of the loop for 20 years, so I appreciate all the help I can get.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh 26 degrees out this morning, and you know what the best thing is about riding your bike to work besides the fun factor and the fuel economy? Yea that's right, no waiting for thefrozenwindshield to thaw out. Its going to be nice out today once it thaws.But the roads were bone dry.......Weird though, 55 yesterday, then mid 20's this morning and I bet it gets close to 60 today. Global warming,....I'm just saying.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh I just remembered something, back in the day I had a 73 Datsun pickup that would do the same thing, but it would just die on the way to work, I would pull over and wait a minute or two and then it would be fine, I finally figured out what it was, the heat tube from the manifold had worked loose causing the carb to ice up. I also had about 5 years ago a 1967 Dodge W200 4X4 Power Wagon that would do the same thing, I could actually watch the carb freeze until the engine got hot enough to maintain a high enough temperature to run. So I know about icing, and will be watching for that on the bike. Oh and hereis a picture of the truck,....I should have never sold her........

Name:  DSCN1868.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  94.2 KB

Old 03-15-2007, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry the picture was a little wide.[:-]

Old 03-15-2007, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej, Tony and myself have had the same problem.
Carb icing [:'(]

Old 03-15-2007, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I had the bike nearly die on me, rolling along at 55-60 pouring down rain and 40 degrees. I had been rolling steadily for ~8 miles and I let off the throttle coming up to a downhill corner and when I opened it back up the bike began to sputter and die. Holding the clutch in it would somewhat idle but it dropped off fast. I coasted in the bike lane, no throttle, just decelerating, clutched it and revved it a few times. The sputtering cleared up and I made it the 5 miles home with no further incident. Sustained rpm's in those conditions would lead me to believe it was carb icing in my case. Dieing out at stopsigns I don't think it would be an ice problem, however when it was in the 20's and light snow I was just messing around in the yard and it ran great but if I sat still idling for a short time it would idle down and then just quit.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scat

Deej, Tony and myself have had the same problem.
Carb icing [:'(]
Hmmmmmm interesting, and this is coming from a couple of guys from my neck of the woods, with the same conditions that I have. I will watch even closer now. I guess this is the first winter with the air box lid off and bigger jets, I suppose in a sense I am the one that introduced something new to the bike from last winter. More air I suppose means a better chance of getting colder. Thanks Scat.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Well it just goes to show you that you shouldn't dismiss anything before you're sure, I am really thinking it is carb icing now. Got on the bike and rode down town to the post office and pulled in and the bike died. I checked the mail, looked at the new field and stream, walked back out and the bike started up and idled as if nothing was wrong. Rode home and it did the same thing, waited for a minute or two and started it up, and back to normal. So for all you guys that called icing, thanks, that includes you too CarlB, thanks for the PM. Well I need to go find a fork and dig into a nice slice of humble pie.

Quick Reply: Calling all KLXers