Calling all KLXers

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Calling all KLXers

Sounds like a piece of crap in the carb. Sometimes it will pass through. Drain the bowl into a glass jar and check for sedement. I think the only filter we have is in the petcock, and it only catches the big stuff.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:13 AM

You've already been given good advice about potential culprits, but I suggest that you try one thing at a time until you find what fixes it...then you'll know EXACTLY what it was. If it ends up being trash in the bowl (which I suspect) then after you've confirmed that...it's still time to check the valve adjustment.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Try adjusting Idle? little black **** by the choke.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey,

How about thinking carb icing? It is spring time. try letting the the rpm's down slowly, all the time lisning
for faulty running sounds shouldn't be any untilthrottle plate closes. Thawed in the garage.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:09 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Its too warm for carb icing, besides I've ridden in 0 weather and 100 degrees and have never had a problem.Turning up the idle won't fix the problem, it just makes it idle faster when there is nothing wrong with it. That's just treating a symptom not the root cause of the problem. But thanks for the ideas. I am going to start with cleaning out the bowl and see what happens.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:14 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Just thought of something else, could be the fuel vent lines are clogged, either the gas tank or the carb. Also checked for a pinched fuel feeding into the petcock or from the petcock into the carb that could be restricting flow from the tank. If / when it happens again, open the gas cap and see if that helps which would tend to support one of the above two theories.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Not that it is this but I wonder if the sidestand switch is acting up??? I am alway suspect of all things mandated for your safety.[sm=lame.gif][sm=lildevil.gif]

Old 03-15-2007, 06:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah Deej, there are a lot of good ideas here butI agree, I'd rule out the carb first.

The fact that you run high rpms fine and conk out when your Idling leads me to believe that your pilot jet and or adjustment screw port are clogged with something.

I would try the bowl "flush" first, but then I would take the damn thing off ( I know its a PIA) and open it up and spray the crap out of it with Carb cleaner.

I remember one time I had a similar problem on my CR and went to spay it and this chuck of crap went shooting across the garage like I was giving the carb aHeimlich Maneuver or something... too funny.

Bottom line, your Idle mechanism is suspect...I'd look there first.

Thats my two cents..

Old 03-15-2007, 10:23 AM
1st Gear Member

All good thoughts. I'd have said fuel tank venting myself.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:59 AM
1st Gear Member

1. drainfuel tank check for crap
2. fill with clean fuel
3. check air filter is clean
4. make sure fuel is getting through line to carbie
5. check float bowl
6. blow through jets
7. check valves

Quick Reply: Calling all KLXers