california morning commute

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Lane splitting is far safer than NOT splitting, at least in LA traffic. Too easy to get run over when you stop behind a car by some idiot texting while driving. I'd rather be between cars. At least you know the car on either side of you is big enough to be noticed by the car on the OTHER side of you (most of the time).

I generally won't split on the freeways on the KLX because it's too slow, but in town, it's not a big deal. On the freeway though, I want to be a faster bike like my DR650 (or the Kawi Z1000 I used to have -- that thing was great).

I think we need to legalize lane splitting everywhere. It'd make things much safer for motorcyclists, even if you choose not to split. Why? Because people would become more aware of them, having to keep an eye on their mirrors for bikes coming up beside them.

Rob

Old 04-04-2012, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I also agree that lane splitting is safer tahn sitting there in the middle of cars.

Doing it when traffic has stopped is more dangerous than when it's moving. My biggest fear when traffic's stopped is if some stupid f&$k decides to open the car door.
I invite you guys to come do it in Rio, Brazil. Seriously, you need ***** of steel!

Old 04-05-2012, 12:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, cool, but personally I'd be nervous doing that. Do many drivers out there realize that what you are doing is legal? Watching your video all I can imagine is a string of about a hundred pissed off drivers behind you
Stay safe.
Dan

Old 04-05-2012, 03:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Yeah, cool, but personally I'd be nervous doing that. Do many drivers out there realize that what you are doing is legal? Watching your video all I can imagine is a string of about a hundred pissed off drivers behind you
Stay safe.
Dan
Some do, some don't know it's legal. It's also legal to ride in the carpool lane. They even post warnings to watch for motorcycles from time to time.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Dude, you are OCMF. I would be a nervous wreck at the end of that ride. Ever clip the mirrors with your bars?

I think if yoiu were in the HOV lane, that would be good enough, unless all the cars were stopped!

Old 04-10-2012, 07:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Katella ave?? Your right by Disneyland.... The Happiest Place on Earth!!!!

You can tell who are the ones that have ridden motorcycles before. They move over when your lane splitting. I alway give those people a wave to show appreciation.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I was listening to the Pace motorcycle podcast and they were quoting some research and statistics about lane sharing and filtering as it pertains to CA.

It appears, regardless of how dangerous it may look, that some types of collisions are greatly reduced due to this. Most notable is a rear end collision. This makes sense.

Carry on

Old 05-30-2012, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

These are great examples of the benefits of lane splitting. I've written a fairly long email to several Nevada state reps to try to get support in legalizing it here. I need to finish it up and get it sent.

I wrote letters about this a couple of years ago and never got a response; this time I'm going to bug the living daylights out of them until we make it happen.

Rob

Old 10-11-2012, 04:23 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RobG
These are great examples of the benefits of lane splitting.
Rob
Not so much are seeing the recent videos...

Old 10-11-2012, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

What no one jumping red lights or driving on the wrong side of the road. No idiots swerving across multiple lanes or doing random u-turns. No 10yrs old kids racing around on scooters, no mobile food carts dropping food & hot bbq coals on the road. No tourists doing stupid tourist things on rental scooters & crotch rockets!! My Thai driving & bike license took 2 hours in a car park & allows me or anyone for that matter to legally drive a Ferrari or an GSXR1000.....That's the level of training or skill of 70% of native drivers that have a license but it's estimated 30% don't even bother with the silly test & are illegal on the roads!!

I would love to have a relaxing blast around San Fransico !!

Quick Reply: california morning commute