burnin oil!! i need to buy a cheap piston!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Are you getting smoke out of the exhaust when riding? Smoke when accelerating indicates rings, smoke when decelerating indicates intake valve seals.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 06-14-2011, 04:37 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maninthesea
I would recomend replacing the valve seals while your at it. Its not to hard or expensive. I could describe my method to convert a drill press to a valve spring compressor. (Yes I should have taken pics)
Yeah, I said valve guides but really meant valve seals. I'm thinking, however, that the seals might be the last thing to go. You can harden them and make them relatively weak for oil retention by overheating the engine, but even that usually takes more than one extreme heat cycle...unless of course the heat cycle killed some other components in the engine.

Maybe the OP could enlighten us if he's had one or more serious overheating episodes to contribute to this issue. 15,000 miles just doesn't relate to engine wear resulting in oil burning under anything approaching normal. I'm suspecting some overheating at some point, but just speculation on my part.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

ok cool thanks guys. im gonna take that piston and ring from feral donkey and talk to my friend kevin at the kawi dealer and see what he says and tell me wat i gotta do to fix it.

i dont really know when its smoking but my tail light is black lol.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:48 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09'Kawi250s
ok cool thanks guys. im gonna take that piston and ring from feral donkey and talk to my friend kevin at the kawi dealer and see what he says and tell me wat i gotta do to fix it.

i dont really know when its smoking but my tail light is black lol.
Hey, 09...don't take this as slam, but maybe you haven't given us enough info. By burning oil I'm assuming you're having to add noticeable amounts of oil to the crankcase...or not? You should be seeing white smoke in your rearview mirror or when you're just standing next to the bike and really rev up the engine. Is the black you're seeing on your taillight absolutely oil or fuel rich soot? On the other hand, maybe you just need to let your friend look at these issues, and perhaps he'll come to a good conclusion...well, if not good at least the correct one.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:31 PM
1st Gear Member

09'Kawi250s - "dont really know when its smoking but my tail light is black "
-------------------------------------------
If a black soot on your tail light is your only symptom, it doesn't sound like an oil-burning problem at all. At worst it sounds like you're running a little rich.

My right rear signal light is chronically covered in black soot!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

its not white smoke. u cant even see smoke, its just burning off a little bit of oil...

Old 06-14-2011, 07:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
09'Kawi250s - "dont really know when its smoking but my tail light is black "
-------------------------------------------
If a black soot on your tail light is your only symptom, it doesn't sound like an oil-burning problem at all. At worst it sounds like you're running a little rich.

My right rear signal light is chronically covered in black soot!
hmm.. ok. but if its running rich it shouldnt be burning oil right? i keep having to add oil like every other week. so probably every 300 miles or so..

Old 06-14-2011, 07:28 PM
1st Gear Member

You can be burning rich AND burning oil. If you keep having to add oil every 300 miles, and it's not leaking, it sounds like you're burning some. Has it always done this, or did it just start at one point, or slowly increase over time?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
You can be burning rich AND burning oil. If you keep having to add oil every 300 miles, and it's not leaking, it sounds like you're burning some. Has it always done this, or did it just start at one point, or slowly increase over time?
slowly increased over time..

Old 06-14-2011, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Yeah, I said valve guides but really meant valve seals. I'm thinking, however, that the seals might be the last thing to go. You can harden them and make them relatively weak for oil retention by overheating the engine, but even that usually takes more than one extreme heat cycle...unless of course the heat cycle killed some other components in the engine.

Maybe the OP could enlighten us if he's had one or more serious overheating episodes to contribute to this issue. 15,000 miles just doesn't relate to engine wear resulting in oil burning under anything approaching normal. I'm suspecting some overheating at some point, but just speculation on my part.
I thought so but was not sure. I was trying to think how the guides might leak oil & could not come up with a sceenario but was not sure enough to mention it.

cheers, Jim

Quick Reply: burnin oil!! i need to buy a cheap piston!!