Brown Jug Hare Scramble - NCHSA Round 8

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 12:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Good stuff Brian. Too bad about the heat. I'd rather see rain that temp's that high. I had a friend have his kidney's shut down cause of heat like that. It was bad. It took a week in the hospital to recover from that one and to this day he still has big problems in the heat.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:20 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
You going to these events with HardTaco and his new to him ktm ?

Ya always posted he was fast and he was still on a klx
He's faster than me, but that's not necessarily an endorsement.

We went to Round 5, "Flat Rock" together. We both raced in the same class but he DNF'd because his bike overheated at one of the bottlenecks and he lost a lot of coolant. I finished 10th out of 20 in class that race, and 70-something out of around 150+ riders, so an OK mid-pack finish. Neither of us could make the next race, Round 6. Then Josh went to Round 7, Pilot Mountain, and placed 13th in class I think he said. I could not make that one, I was back in WV for the weekend at my wife's family reunion.

So "Brown Jug," Round 8, is the first race I could get to after Flat Rock, but Josh couldn't make this one because he had to work, so I went to this one by myself. Gotta be a little extra careful being alone because there's no one to drive home if you break your leg.

Last edited by Nobrakes; 07-16-2009 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:37 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lcpl0331
Good stuff Brian. Too bad about the heat. I'd rather see rain that temp's that high. I had a friend have his kidney's shut down cause of heat like that. It was bad. It took a week in the hospital to recover from that one and to this day he still has big problems in the heat.
Thanks. I was actually hoping for rain to cool things down and maybe mud things up a bit. I can ride mud pretty good, so I thought that might even work to my advantage, somewhat like at Flat Rock where I had a pretty good overall finish and a lot of the "faster" riders finished behind me because they were back there somewhere stuck on the hills.

But the heat was definitely tough and took its toll on a lot of people. The guy that got the ambulance ride posted up on the message board and said he tried to do the race without a camelbak and his plan was to get a drink once per lap after crossing through the scoring tent. He said on the second lap he started shaking and cramping and couldn't see straight and eventually passed out. When I saw him he was curled up in a ball at the bottom of one of the hills waiting for evac. Someone was there with him, so I didn't stop, otherwise I would have. You definitely don't want to mess around with the heat. I guess he's OK since he posted, hopefully no permanent damage.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad to see that you got the helmet cam working for the race....nothing like being able to relive hair raising experiences over and over again.

If you ever need a "pit crew" or extra fan let me know....I could probably meet you and tag along.....racing (or trail riding) by yourself is risky at best.

Good luck at your next event....

Old 07-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Thanks, and I might take you up on that. It's a lot more fun to me to go with someone. Also, my fan base in attendance could increase from 0 to 1. It does make for a long day, though. Most of the races are 3+ hours away and I like to get there an hour or two before the pro race starts at 12:15 to walk the track some and watch their start. Then have plenty of time to chill a little bit before gearing up for the race at 3:15, which usually doesn't actually start until well after 3:30 and goes for 1.5 hours at least depending on where you are a the 1.5 hour mark. If you just crossed the line a few minutes before that, you get to do a whole additional lap and depending on how long the laps are, you might be racing for nearly 2 hours. Then de-gear, clean up a bit, and head back home - makes for a long day for sure. I wish we had more races closer to my area. I think some of the Virginia series might be closer than those of the North Carolina series. NC is such a long state, you could drive for over 9 hours east to west and still not cross the border into TN. That makes it hard for the NC series to have good access for the whole state, so the races are mainly centered in the central/western part of the state.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

dude looks like a blast,, thanks for sharing,,, I like the Silt Hill Video lol

Old 07-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah, that hill was fun.

I checked the overall results and realized that I was in 125th place at the end of the first lap, 112th place at the end of the 2nd lap, and 96th place at the end of the 3rd lap. So I was making up well over a dozen positions per lap on those later laps as the race wore on. That makes me feel a little better, anyway.

I thought I got the hare scramble bug out of my system for a while after this past race, but now I want to do it again. See how addicting it is?