broken sight glass

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiskeyTF
Trail fix ideas for this one? Never thought about that little bugger...
Alcohol wipes from your First Aid kit (you *do* carry one, right?) to clean it up, then Gorilla Tape patch over the hole... and ride out very gently.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
Alcohol wipes from your First Aid kit (you *do* carry one, right?) to clean it up, then Gorilla Tape patch over the hole... and ride out very gently.
duct tape = entirety of my first aid kit Oh wait I do have Ibuprofen too.

I just wonder how long the duct tape would stay stuck after being in contact with engine oil. Another option would be to stuff a rag (piece of your shirt) in the opening. It would drip but probably not that much.

Dan

Old 04-19-2012, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
I just wonder how long the duct tape would stay stuck after being in contact with engine oil.
That was my thought. The alcohol wipes might help getting the tape to stick and once it's got a good bond it should hold...

I had this vision of someone stuffing JBWeld in the hole...

Old 04-19-2012, 11:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiskeyTF
That was my thought. The alcohol wipes might help getting the tape to stick and once it's got a good bond it should hold...

I had this vision of someone stuffing JBWeld in the hole...
I repaired a small hole in a crankcase once with epoxy resin, did the job

Old 04-20-2012, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

One of my riding buddies was on a ride out in Colorado. One of the others he was with knocked a hole in his clutch cover. They pulled the cover off and put tape on the inside and then put JB weld type epoxy in the hole from the outside. It fixed it right up. The only bad thing is apparently this guy still rides with the JB weld patch, he never replaced the cover!!!!
Dan

Old 04-20-2012, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I never replaced the crankcase either

Old 04-20-2012, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I have heard of people keeping some of the solid (putty-type) epoxy in their tool kits for just this type of thing.

BTW, now that the OP has waterproofed his right boot, when is he going to do the left one...???

Old 04-21-2012, 04:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the replys, like the picture. I don't have any idea how it broke, only thing I can think of is it must have kicked up a limb between the brake and sight glass? Going to use the cardboard bolt holder idea.

I think when I have it apart I might make a plug to fit in the hole and dril and tap it for a 6mm bolt. Then just take the bolt out and fill the oil till it runs out and call it good. Seeing I have the parts coming I will put the sight glass in and keep the plug for back up.

Thanks again, turnsleft

Old 04-26-2012, 05:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
turnsleft:
check my 351 thread https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...351-0-a-36944/

edit - here's one pic:
Well; I got er done. Lost 3/4 qt of oil. And found out you don't have to take the case off. The sight~glass pushes in from the out side. That slot looking hole at 12:00 is the sight~glass hole. Warmed it up good and didn't find any leaks[yet].

Old 04-26-2012, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you take the case cover off to find out you didn't? If anyone does take the case cover off, check and clean the oil pickup screen. Mine had a length of gasket material on it, but otherwise looked very good.

Quick Reply: broken sight glass