Boring -Maximize MPG

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 03:57 PM
1st Gear Member

I still haven't got a lot of riding in after my mods to get a reliable estimate on gas mileage. But so far I'm right at 60 mpg. Far better then the 12 mpg I get in my Dodge Ram. Which incidentally I have only filled up once since I bought my bike 2-months ago. I told my wife the gas saving alone would pay for the bike. So far I'm exceeding that.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Yep i paid 600$ for a KLR650 and it gets 55 mpg. Alot better than 16 in my truck.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:04 PM
1st Gear Member

i actually have a hybrid that gets about 43 mpg...thinking about trading that in for a suv that can hold the klx on the hitch when i want to travel with my klx...but, that ends up being parked for extended periods...had some recent heavy rain in california, so it was finally used for few days...no rain and back on the klx....use of the carpool lane on my 55-mile commute and being able ride between lanes to pass all the cars on the freeway is such a huge time-saver for me....love this little klx...

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
I still haven't got a lot of riding in after my mods to get a reliable estimate on gas mileage. But so far I'm right at 60 mpg. Far better then the 12 mpg I get in my Dodge Ram. Which incidentally I have only filled up once since I bought my bike 2-months ago. I told my wife the gas saving alone would pay for the bike. So far I'm exceeding that.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
being able ride between lanes to pass all the cars on the freeway is such a huge time-saver for me....love this little klx...
"Lane Splitting, white lining" is illegal in most places in the US. CA is the only place i know its legal. I look at it like, if i cant or wouldnt do it in my truck i wont do it on my bike. Lane splitting tends to **** people off around here

Old 03-30-2012, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

you have to do it with caution...people on cellphones, texting, putting on make-up, eating, shaving, playing with their kid(s), etc. while driving....personally, i feel much safer between lanes than having cars in front and behind me...and, sometimes cars can't see me...if i always stay near the line or split...i figure there is no excuse for cars not to see me on the freeway...in northern california, it's little more biker friendly....most of the time, i feel like moses splitting the sea...cars go out of their way to get out of your way....some cars literally drive off the lane into the center divider space...passing other motorcycles gets little tricky...i don't know if they'll suddenly start splitting lanes....i slow down....wait for some type of signal to pass or watch their mirrors to make sure they see me behind....

even people on motorcyclists debate this in california...some will not do it at all...some people have rules that they'll never lane split above 25 mph....some say splitting lanes at regular speed limit or higher speed is crazy...

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
"Lane Splitting, white lining" is illegal in most places in the US. CA is the only place i know its legal. I look at it like, if i cant or wouldnt do it in my truck i wont do it on my bike. Lane splitting tends to **** people off around here

Last edited by ahnh666; 03-30-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
..some say splitting lanes at regular speed limit or higher speed is crazy...
I have been told that going at any decent speed through the woods and going through trees that are a few inches wider than the handle bars is crazy too.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member

FMF in their product insert that came with my Powercore4 said that if it was your only mod no jetting was necessary and I found that to be true as the bike ran fine that way and twice as well as a stopped up stocker. I did jet when I added a filter and airbox mods and that is when my milage went south. So if staying close to that 70mpg is a goal a slip-on alone is all I would do. And like I said my bike was fine that way I wouldn't have been scared to run it like that forever.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gravel eddie
I have run several tanks of fuel through my KLX since I got it in February - completely stock - 60MPH every time and that is a mix of road and trails at the ORV park. I would say thats pretty good with the off-road thrown in.
I think 60 mpg is good on the KLX for all around riding, not quite 70, but close enough for me. Maybe yours is set up fine for now until you get more miles on it?
Yes you might be right on this. I wondered how the folks running some street gearing were getting along with mpg. Its always a fine line. Reduce torque and it may hit the mpg. Fine line for sure.

I will keep it stock and see what I can manage. If someone pipes up and says they are getting 80 well then I will listen

Old 03-30-2012, 07:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
Why would you get this bike just to MX on. Clearly it is designed as a comprise for either use. Take your comprise and I will take mine thank you...

I needed a bike to commute. I have virtually no highways I need to commute. Maybe 20 miles per week at max.
I have dirt roads I need to access and some with steep inclines for residential construction.

Furthermore, the upright posture is good for visibility. Last I do have trails I can ride when given the time.

So should I have gotten a Harley? A crotch rocket? A moped?

Sorry about being snippy here. I was just finished cleaning up cat throw up

Old 03-30-2012, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member

yesteraday i took first time my klx to work and i did 90 miles from 1.6 gal. so it looks like 56 mpg i drove on the highway 50- 60 mph ( RPM was around 6000 all the times) ,my mitsubisi lancer makes 30 mpg ( engine 10 times biger ) and when i was driving to the work was realy nice almost 60 degree, but when i came back to home around 9 pm was just 40 , it was realy cold . that was my first experience.

Quick Reply: Boring -Maximize MPG