Boring -Maximize MPG

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 12:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Boring -Maximize MPG

Aside from just not twisting the throttle what have you guys done in regards to this for commuting duty. Will gearing as some have done make much difference? Will mods like exhaust, air box help (not jets).

I have not calculated mine yet as we are having weeks of rain and I am not commuting on it yet. I would love to see a steady 70mpg with my around town type of commute. If I hit the highway its short and I can do 55-60mph without getting run over.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Cant help ya man.... didnt buy mine for gas mileage.... bought it for this...
Name:  IMG_1490.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  126.0 KB

Old 03-30-2012, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
Aside from just not twisting the throttle what have you guys done in regards to this for commuting duty. Will gearing as some have done make much difference? Will mods like exhaust, air box help (not jets) I have not calculated mine yet as we are having weeks of rain and I am not commuting on it yet. I would love to see a steady 70mpg with my around town type of commute. If I hit the highway its short and I can do 55-60mph without getting run over.
Your bike won’t last long if you don’t rejet after exhaust and air box mods. Gearing is your best bet. But you will suffer in the dirt with high gearing.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm with EMS. Not sure why anyone would get this bike to commute on?!

I fill it when my trip ODO reads 60 miles. That's about it.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:22 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

While I would agree with those who bought the KLX mainly for its more off road oriented design, I'm sure there are others who bought the bike as a do-it-all kind of tool. I must admit to a small amount of internal snickering when I see a KLX with a luggage rack trunk, saddlebags, windshield, and a cup holder...but hey...we are all different and have our own personal view of what we should be doing with our individual bikes. A bit like the financial commercial claims concerning "your money", I guess you could say, "It's your bike...ride and equip it like you need it."

Old 03-30-2012, 03:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry

I fill it when my trip ODO reads 60 miles. That's about it.
Why would you get this bike just to MX on. Clearly it is designed as a comprise for either use. Take your comprise and I will take mine thank you...

I needed a bike to commute. I have virtually no highways I need to commute. Maybe 20 miles per week at max.
I have dirt roads I need to access and some with steep inclines for residential construction.

Furthermore, the upright posture is good for visibility. Last I do have trails I can ride when given the time.

So should I have gotten a Harley? A crotch rocket? A moped?

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 03-30-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:24 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I would guess if you are looking for good mileage leave it stock.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stephenmarklay
Why would you get this bike just to MX on. Clearly it is designed as a comprise for either use. Take your comprise and I will take mine thank you...
I got this bike to have a street legal dirt bike. Thats what it is IMO. I just ride trails, and the ability to not have a truck or trailer parked somewhere means alot. When it was my only bike i rode it alot on the roads. Since getting the KLR650 i make it more dirt. lowered gearing and knobbies. Even if one got it for strictly dirt use, its a reliable low maintenance bike.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ems_0525
i would guess if you are looking for good mileage leave it stock.
x2 ...

Old 03-30-2012, 03:51 PM
1st Gear Member

i bought it to commute on......bought it for san francisco parking reasons...bought it for weekend rides...it's very capable of everything...i think somebody mentioned that the klx does everything, but doesn't do anything well...i think that is true for the most part...but, does everything between 60 mpg to 65 mpg...

little over 7,000 miles in 7 months....the klx has done everything i've asked it to do...55-mile daily commutes on the freeway at 75 mph to 85 mph....50 mile, 100 mile and 200 mile group rides through some of the most technical mountain twisties....1000 miles of touring california along the boring 5 highway at 80 mph to 90 mph constant....

slid around on smooth dirt...but..i do want to get some dual-sport or dirt tires and find some dirt trails....that's the only thing i haven't done yet on my klx250sf...

Originally Posted by CousinLarry

Last edited by ahnh666; 03-30-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Boring -Maximize MPG