Boots 50/50(shortys) or full boots??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:00 PM
1st Gear Member

For me I don't ride crazy now days - for the most part I do adventure riding and sight seeing and I am often alone. I have had the experience of bike mechanicals and long, long walks and I can't imagine doing it in an MX boot. I wear a pair of Danner hunting boots with a reinforced toe and I can walk in them all day.

Perhaps if I was 20 again..but now I pack a lunch, my camera and I go explore!!!

Rik

Old 11-16-2008, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up Fox & sidi

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Just to be clear, you have not been looking at mx boots nor do you want a pair if you only plan on one pair of boots. MX boots have a solid sole with no feel for the pegs, you know designed for 30' jumps and such, not walking in a store to get some h2o.

I would think you would want a good quality dual purpose boot...like a SIDI Discovery, at least check them out on the net....good boot for all around use and will last a long time....I got a pair and have loved them for 2.5 years, at least check them out.
Hey Finger & Deej Just went on line and checked them both out. (The Fox and the SIDI boots.)They both look like excellent choices! That's what is so very nice about this forum and its' members. They share their opinions freely, offering meaningful and well thought out product selections with exceptional advice.

Regards,

Old 11-16-2008, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
I never "break in" my boots. I want them solid. Keeping ankle support is half the reason you buy these things. If you want to go walking then buy sneakers.
Jason makes a really good point here, the 50/50 or dual purpose boots offer much less ankle protection than a real mx boot....At first I only had the discovery boots and they were fine for what I was doing.....now I got a pair of mx boots too. I use them on real off-road riding where I know I will wipe out a few times....they are encased in some sort of plastic with hindges, but if I have to walk over 50 feet .... I take em off and carry them.

I do disagree with buying cheap dual pupose boots like a Fox thou. A fox is on sale for $100 on the net now.....but you can get a sidi discovery for $200 and it will last a lifetime...I've seen a lot of reviews with the fox just not lasting a long time. You do get what you pay for and my discovery's are great for street and gravel roads.....you know just typical adventure riding...good leather too, just my opine.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, if I do any walking in them I undo all the buckles and open the Velcro at the top so the ankles don't bend. And thats if it hits me out of nowhere and I HAVE to walk and don't have a choice. If I know I'm going to be walking I'll put my other shoes on.
________
Marijuana trichomes

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I love the Thor 50/50's. I rode to a friends house and went out around town in them last night and they were fine. With jeans on they look like normal boots.

Dual sport is full of compromises. These boots compromise shin protection for being comfortable. They do offer pretty great ankle and toe protection. I had a violent crash on the trails a few weeks ago and I could feel the bike on top of my foot as it cigar rolled me down a hill. If I had been wearing my crappy hiking boots my ankle probably would've been messed up bad. One of those where you kind of just lie there for a minute before you get up.

They offer a good tactile sense on the shifter and are not too expensive. They are my "main" boots because most of the riding I do are dual sport rides and I like the ability to just go hang out after a ride and be comfortable. I guess I am taking a risk on some of the rides with my shins...but...it's a compromise. Just like our bike. It does everything, just not the most effectively.

When I go to the local trail parks I'll bring along my kneepad/shinguards. However I am still on the lookout for a good pair of full size boots. On some rides it's just better to have the full size. Like when you ride an hour on the highway to get to a HUGE off-road park, it might be a good idea. So far I've just used these Thor's and I've been fine.

Eh...if you want shorty boots I'd go with the Thor's. Haven't tried any others on but I think these are super comfortable, they look cool and the protection is excellent (for a shorty boot).

Old 11-17-2008, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks again for the input. It's all valuable, and usefull, information. Keep it coming.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:23 AM
1st Gear Member

What sort of riding do you do? Without knowing that no-one can offer any meaningfull advice, no matter how well intentioned.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member

There is a difference in toe-box thickness in boots. . . . thinner toe-boxes allow the toe on the shift-side of the bike to get under the shifter for up-shifts! And DON'T get boots with a hiking tread on them. . . . it is VERY DIFFICULT to get proper boot placement on the pegs. . . the sole "catches" on the nubbins of the pegs far too easily. I find that I am constantly re-positioning my foot placement trying to get proper shifter and brake operation. I'll NEVER get hiking soles on my off-road boots again!

Last edited by Magoo; 11-17-2008 at 08:53 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 11-17-2008, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Just to be clear, you have not been looking at mx boots nor do you want a pair if you only plan on one pair of boots. MX boots have a solid sole with no feel for the pegs, you know designed for 30' jumps and such, not walking in a store to get some h2o.

I would think you would want a good quality dual purpose boot...like a SIDI Discovery, at least check them out on the net....good boot for all around use and will last a long time....I got a pair and have luved them for 2.5 years, at least check them out.

I just checked these out FM.. Ive been in the market for boots as well.. And I think you sold me on these

Old 11-17-2008, 08:30 PM
1st Gear Member

But boots that aren't broken in are just plain uncomfortable (plus gift you with gorgeous bilsters). Boots will give ankle support regardless of whether they are broken in or not (otherwise you'd be buying new boots every few months)

Best way to break in boots is the ol' army way. Find a stream, run up it to the source, then walk home or until they are dry. The insides will be set to the shape of your foot, a clinically fitted shoe would be hard pressed to beat it for fit. Alternatively, take a luke warm bath with them on, then wear them around the house for the day or until dry.

Quick Reply: Boots 50/50(shortys) or full boots??