Boots 50/50(shortys) or full boots??

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 04:46 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Boots 50/50(shortys) or full boots??

Hi, I have never owned mx boots, but after bashing my big toe on my dual sport ride, I have decided it might be a good idea to get some. I'm worried about being able to bend my ankle for braking/shifting. I have read on here that some just lift or lower their whole leg to accomplish their braking / shifting. I know that bending the ankle will get easier as the boots break in, and either way I will get used to them. In the what to wear thread je2000 said he has the Thor 50/50 boots and loves them. I'm sure they are lighter, and am wondering if they might bend easier? je2000, and anybody else with experience, can you compare the short boots to the full boot as far as range of motion, weight, comfort, anything else. I think I will probably get a full boot, and most on here would recomend the full boot as it is what most are used to, and obviously gives more protection, but I would like to hear from those that have tried both types of boots. Pro-con. Thanks

Old 11-15-2008, 05:13 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd never ride off road with out my full boots just one mistake and a good set of boots pay for themselves. I'd rather have the full protection but for street and light off road the 50/50's I'm sure are nice.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I have a brand new, although I bought them over 2 years ago, pair of Fox Tracker MX boots. I wore them twice I think. I know that I should wear them, and next time I go on an organized unknown area ride I will wear them. On the two occasions that I did wear them, I did miss a shift or two on the begining of the ride, bus soon figured it out and all was well. It just takes some time. I also heard that when you buy a pair of riding boots, you should walk in them around the block, or when just doing stuff around the house in order to break them in. Get out there and mow the lawn with a push mower is what I hear most from riders.

Last edited by deej; 11-15-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Question Full Boots vs 50/50 Boots?

Originally Posted by kgwld1
I'd never ride off road with out my full boots just one mistake and a good set of boots pay for themselves. I'd rather have the full protection but for street and light off road the 50/50's I'm sure are nice.
What he said! I think that if you intend to do a lot of walking, then you might want a pair of 50/50's. Although you can walk pretty well in the MX's after you get them limbered up a bit. I cherish the protection that you get from the MX's. If you only intend to have one pair, I strongly suggest the MX full boot protection. Lord knows they have saved my bacon many times! I dread the thought of breaking any bones at my age!!! HA!

Regards,

Old 11-15-2008, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

With respect to the shift lever when using the MX boots: Just raise the lever one tooth for adequate clearance with the taller toe profile of the MX boot. You'll soon be able to do any shifting easily. As to the braking effort it is simple and you'll not see any problems with the useage of the MX boots.

Regards,

Old 11-15-2008, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. Yes, I am only bying one pair, and for that reason I figured I would be buying the more protective full mx boots. I just came home from the motorcycle shop trying on boots. The guy at the shop actually recomended some of the more entry level full size mx boots. Thor Quadrant, Moose M1. He told me the "entry level" stuff would break in easier and be easier to get used to wearing boots with. He said they wouldn't last near as long, but moving from them to a better boot in a few years would be an easier trasition. He showed me the $400 boots. but told me I didn't need them. He showed me a $300(I think) pair of Alpinestar tech 7's, which he said would be the boot in the Alpinestar line he would recomend for my riding, but agian said he would still maybe go with some of the entry level stuff to get the feel for them. The guy helping me had ridden in the enduro race the week after I rode the dualsport event I posted about, so we stood and compared notes until they started turning out the lights in the shop. BTW I looked at the 50/50's, and they were nice. I think if I had the extra moola I would buy a pair of them along with the full boots.
That's funny Deej, because the guy at the shop told me to mow the yard in them to break them in.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
I have a brand new, although I bought them over 2 years ago, pair of Fox Tracker MX boots. I wore them twice I think. I know that I should wear them, and next time I go on an organized unknown area ride I will wear them. On the two occasions that I did wear them, I did miss a shift or two on the begining of the ride, bus soon figured it out and all was well. It just takes some time. I also heard that when you buy a pair of riding boots, you should walk in them around the block, or when just doing stuff around the house in order to break them in. Get out there and mow the lawn with a push mower is what I hear most from riders.
I've got the Fox Tracker boots too. Great value for money and saved my toes on more than one occasion. Went swimming in them a couple of times to bed them in. The best way to loosen them up is to get them wet a few times. So take a dip then mow the lawn, they should be sweet then.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Thanks guys. Yes, I am only bying one pair, and for that reason I figured I would be buying the more protective full mx boots.
Just to be clear, you have not been looking at mx boots nor do you want a pair if you only plan on one pair of boots. MX boots have a solid sole with no feel for the pegs, you know designed for 30' jumps and such, not walking in a store to get some h2o.

I would think you would want a good quality dual purpose boot...like a SIDI Discovery, at least check them out on the net....good boot for all around use and will last a long time....I got a pair and have luved them for 2.5 years, at least check them out.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member

I have mx boot's for off road and 50/50 boot's for the road,
the Thor 50/50 is great for ankle protection , plus you could walk all day in them, i have
but the first time you get a rock or branch across the shins you will wish you had mx boot's, the dealer is right , go with cheaper boot's until they feel natural then
go for something a little better.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I never "break in" my boots. I want them solid. Keeping ankle support is half the reason you buy these things. If you want to go walking then buy sneakers.
________
VAPORIZE ST JOHN'S WORT

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Boots 50/50(shortys) or full boots??