Black Clarke tank update

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 12:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Black Clarke tank update

I bought one of the black Clarke tanks back in November from justgastanks.com. The tank did have some tiny flaws in the plastic where it meets the brass fittings, but I gave it a try anyhow. It was great until about two weeks ago when one morning I got to work and couldn't figure out why my fingers smelled like raw gas. Turns out the tank fittings had begun to seep, and the gas found it's way down to the choke ****, which is how it got to my fingers. It was stinking up my garages so bad I yanked the tank off and put my stocker back on.

I contacted Ben at justgastanks.com to let him know what was going on. He quickly got another tank on the way, and arranged a shipping label for me send the old tank back to Clarke, all at no cost to me.

I am very pleased with how this situation was handled by justgastanks.com and Clarke. Kudos to both for good customer service and standing behind their product!

Old 03-20-2008, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Black Clarke tank update

justgastanks did the same for me....though in the long run I blame Clarke for designing that forward brass fitting so close to the frame it was rubbing. I am blaming that for the eventual leak and now that I have indented that (trussed opposite side) I haven't had a leak. By the way, both mine were the natural tanks. It's not just a black thing....

Old 03-20-2008, 04:28 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah i think grinding out a notch for clearance is the best way to go. I haven't got any leaks yet, but I've only been on the pavement so far.

I wonder if clarke is aware of thise problem? If it were 1 cm back it wouldnt be a problem.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Usually when I mention it the response is worry. But it's just the engine brace and cross support and easily braced by a friend with a wire feed or better welder on the other side if you are worried (I did !).