Big Gun quiet core

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 04:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Big Gun quiet core

ORIGINAL: Bad Bear

Ok I just read the Please Read Before Use Paper that came with my pipe it says " All Evo Series exh come standard with
Vortex Quiet Core Insert installed!!
USFS Approved Spark Arrester Installed!!
Spark arrester ring ( Found in bad hanging from silencer)

Please remove Vortex quiet core insert $ USFA approved Spark arrester before use for closed course compitition......

No where does it say to not use the vortex very long and I don't have both a quiet core and vortex just the way it came from Big Gun with the Vortex.
I don't see how it can harm anything if your bike is tuned properly and not running lean and creating to much heat.
All the Vortex quiet core is made to do is keep the sound level at USFS legal , 94-96 Decibal state park legal.

It is much less restrictive and better made than the crappy stock pipe so there is no way it should melt from normal use. The heat at the exhuast exit is not in any way hot enough to melt aluminum.
If I have problem I will post the issues I have. In my opinion it is no more than a fancy baffle that is all it really is just a fancy name and a crazy looking thing but still just a baffle
So the reps at Big Gun and BMWHD both say the vortex is not for prolonged usage and can vouch that it will 'deteriorate,' but you choose to ignore that? Whatever dude...just thumb your nose at it. They said it will "deteriorate"...not "melt." Big Gun's inferior metalergy in materials used comes to the forefront again. Heat it up a little, add chemicals from the exhaust stream and the corrosive process begins.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Here's a post from bmwhd later on in that same thread:
ORIGINAL: bmwhd
I can vouch for the fact that the Vortex is not intended for permanent dual sport use. If left in the bike, it will eventually either deteriorate itself (i.e. melt) or cause the muffler to fail. Don't ask me how I know

Also - RED LOCKTITE is your friend when working on Big Gun exhaust cores and packing.
Even though he said not to, maybe we should ask Todd how he knows?

Old 11-12-2006, 06:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Well its really not a big deal either way if it falls apart I will just buy the bad part and start enjoying the ride again

I don't really get to worried about all the this might happen stuff after dragracing a 1428cc engine on NOS and spending $800 on a pipe , the cost of this bike is half the cost of one race motor . That is why I enjoy this bike lots of fun and not the big $$$$$ to do it

I say mod this bike and have fun if something fails fix it and move on.......

BIG POINT TO THIS IS HAVE FUN GUYS

Old 11-13-2006, 05:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Perhaps I should clarify my experience with the Vortex insert (I actually had two of them, as you'll see).

I owned a KLR650 that had the basic stage one mods (jets, K&N filter, open airbox) and a Big Gun full exhaust with race core. I set the bike up to be a LD touring dual sport with hard luggage and a ton of other stuff. I used the bike for several long distance rides including a Saddle Sore 1000 and a 12 hour endurance rally in which I covered over 700 miles.

It was a few months before the rally that I installed my first Vortex core to try and quiet down the Big Gun for my daily commute. I replaced the packing at the same time using Big Gun packing material. So I had race core, fresh packing, Vortex insert and a new spark arrester.

During the rally, I spent considerable time at WOT due to high winds and rain and the need to maintain highway speed. During one long up hill run at speed, the bike started to stumble and act like it was starving for fuel. Not much later at a fuel stop, I noticed that the bike sounded different and when I looked at the muffler I saw that the end cap was gone along with the spark arrester and the Vortex core. Two of the four bolts that held the end cap on were gone and the race core and packing were half way out of the pipe. At the time, I assumed that my not using locktite on the bolts was the reason it fell apart.

As it turns out, Big Gun confirmed for me some months later that the Vortex is too restrictive for WOT use or any sustained high speed running. The back pressure was what had caused the poor performance on the top end and resulted in the muffler bits blowing out the back of the pipe. Unfortunately, before I learned that, I purchased another Vortex core, spark arrester, and end cap and installed those along with fresh packing. Shortly after that I sold the KLR to a gent that rode it 500 miles home. He had the exact same performance problems on the highway and it was after he called me to tell me about it that I started researching the issue and realized it wasn't just lack of locktite that made the pipe self destruct.

So I'd recommend you buy the quiet core from BG if you want a long term solution to the noise of the race core. Keep the Vortex for short runs only.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:03 AM

There it is from the man himself. See thats where the name Big Gun Came from..... Just joking lol [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 11-13-2006, 07:16 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

you guys need to relax about your big gun pipes. jeez. just install it and go, don't go dissecting it. it does NOT come with the quiet core installed stock. it has the race core stock and supposedly the vortex insert, but mine didn't come with the insert, just the race core and spark arrestor. and no i didn't tear it apart to see this. just looking inside with a flashlight you can tell what's in there. w/the race core it's not that loud, so don't fret. it's not like it's gonna be as quiet as stock with the quiet core. i wouldn't waste your money if you are buying it.
Big Gun installed, pretty relaxed, I will have to dissect to repack. I like quiet performance!!! IMO.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Another thing to watch for his described here:

http://biggunexhaust-test.com/

I didn't have this particular problem with mine but I've heard of many that have. The EVO series is supposed to be better about this.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:45 PM

ORIGINAL: jellyfish

Seee thats where the name Big Gun Came from..... Just joking lol [sm=signs003.gif]

I am quoting myself hahahaha lmao. is that legal.....?

Sad part I own one. Got 2500 miles on mine and these are hard miles. I ride it like a race bike that I know it is not...

I think I got a good one probably made middle of the week after break no hurry....

Old 11-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bmwhd

Another thing to watch for his described here:

http://biggunexhaust-test.com/

I didn't have this particular problem with mine but I've heard of many that have. The EVO series is supposed to be better about this.
ok thats scary.. i sure as hell hope my pipe doesnt do any of that....

Quick Reply: Big Gun quiet core