big gun install 07 klx250s

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 12:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default big gun install 07 klx250s

Need some help here,

This may not be a tough question for the majority of you gear heads but I am a newbie when it comes to the motorcycle world. I have had my bike for about 6 months and have no complaints but got some X-mas money and thought "let's buy an exhaust." Anyway, on total trust form my local bike shop i went with the big gun (whole kit) for my bike. They assured me the installation would be easy for anyone that could work a wrench. So before i get started and find myself lost, does anyone have any advice or things to look out for? And is re-jetting the bike after installation neccessary? Please be gentle. Thanks Dacoontz (newbie).

Old 01-07-2008, 12:26 AM
IG
Default RE: big gun install 07 klx250s

I'll be first..........it will take you about 10 mins. Take the old system off, bolt up the header first but leave the header bolts a little loose. Then install the muffler.........after lining it all up with the header connection and the mounting bolts, go ahead and tighten it at the engine and then tighten the muffler bolts. Lastly install the clamp between the header and muffler. You're done. I'd recommend doing the jetting and installing an aftermarket air-filter. You'll love the BG, I had one on my '06. They flat-out kick **** and sound sweet. Do it now!!!

Old 01-07-2008, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Re-jetting is a must.I would try a 128 main, n1tc needle at about the second notch, and theair fuel screw about 2-2.5 turns out. That'll prolly be an okay "jetting starting point" with that pipe. You can find all those part numbers in the common parts thread. Might as well get the kdx snorkel, loose the snorkel, or loose the airbox lid! Let that baby breathe!
Im sure some other guys will give some great opinions too. Let us know how that big gun goes on, there has been some rumors that the header has been hitting the airbox with there recent pipes....
Good luck and have fun -JOSH

P.S.- If you haven't gotten a 13 tooth front sprocket yet, I'd recommend one of those too. Best $15 bucks you can spend on the bike IMO.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds simple enough but you guys are losing me with the re-jetting stuff. I really am a super newbie to this stuff. I suppose i am just a little afraid of messing up my bike if I don't do something just right. But at the same time I am not a complete retard and with good instructions, which youhave already given me towads the installation, then I can figure things out. What do you think? Should i spend the money to have the shop do the jetting or is it pretty easy as well. DaCoontz.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh yeah, and Beaver, do you notice a big change in chain noise with the 13 tooth front sprocket? Iread in a nother forum that it sounds a little different when running. Dacoontz.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Do you have any friends or family that are in tobikes or good mechanically? Thats how I learned how to-re jet! Once you see it done once, ur gonna say, "wow that wasn't that bad at all". It is actually quite simple, but it is easy to get intimidated, especially if your taking out andcrackin open a carb for the first time..

Old 01-07-2008, 12:42 AM
IG

chain noise is non-existent. I did that mod first and it was substantial to how power is delivered. If you don't do that mod, you're really missing out.
As far as jetting, it's easy. Follow the 128 main, n1tc 2nd notch, 2.5 turns advice. That's exactly how mine was setup. The stickies should help you with step by step and pics. If not, do a search for HMF jetting. It's what I used.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dacoontz

Oh yeah, and Beaver, do you notice a big change in chain noise with the 13 tooth front sprocket? Iread in a nother forum that it sounds a little different when running. Dacoontz.
It does sound different, but with an aftermarket pipe, and a helmet on, its not too bad... Doesn't bother me.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the pipe going to the muffler is what touches the airbox, from what I remember. Mine did anyway, and I think someone else's, but I can't remember who it was. All that hasto be done is just bend your mounts a little bit to get the pipe to turn away from the airbox a little. I also had to put a few washers on one of the brackets to bring it away from the bike a bit because the 2 brackets on the pipe that bolt to the bike arn't lined up EXACTLY right. Annd, I had to drill the rear bracket hole that was mounted to the can it's self, I think that was to drop the pipe a little to get it away from the airbox.
I am making it sound like alot of work, but it's entirely not. You would see exactly what I am talking about when you go to fit the pipe on the bike.
If you're unsure, just get a friend, or family member with just a halfass'd mechanical ability to help you put it on. Unless a shop would put it on for real cheap.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:13 AM
1st Gear Member

I hate to sound skeptical but that re-jetting thing sounds a little complicated. I need my first tune up done anyway, so i guess it's an excuse to have it done then. Unless, you guys know of somewhere that will walk me throught the process then I am probably stuck apying for it to get re-jetted. Thanks for the input either way. Dacoontz.

Quick Reply: big gun install 07 klx250s