Big Clutch Improvement - 10 mins. 0 Dollars

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

For everyone that thinks that it is bad to remove clutch springs, check out this vid from Transworldmx.
http://motocross.transworld.net/1000...m-clutch-prep/

Old 02-11-2011, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsteele
For everyone that thinks that it is bad to remove clutch springs, check out this vid from Transworldmx.
http://motocross.transworld.net/1000...m-clutch-prep/
So the video says it is bad in so many words. Anyway...Ima get me some of those springs!

Old 02-12-2011, 07:10 AM
1st Gear Member

You can make the bike lighter by taking out a few head bolts too.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Feral Donkey
You can make the bike lighter by taking out a few head bolts too.
Just take a grinding wheel and grind all the heads on the bolts in half. That should reduce some weight.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Helium in the tires!

Old 02-12-2011, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Looked at the video, thanks.

Anyone notice that Mathis is hawking Hinson clutch goods? Oh that's right, some of you were too busy joining in with the pack to nip at my heels. Where's the skepticism on what he's hawking? Oh his ideas have some objective technical merit, but it's far from the whole story.

I do believe I have failed. A proverbs says, "A wise man makes knowledge acceptible." I have failed to make my case. So be it. But there's some responsibility with the receivers of the information. Part of the problem is credibitlity.

Much of what makes a position or person credible or not in the real world is missing from forums. We often have no clue who we are agreeing with, debating, or even insulting. That's fine, and the anonymity provided by
forums serves a good purpose. Unfortunately, anonymity also makes poor behavior less socially expensive. It becomes easy to take cheap shots.

If you don't believe a mod is credible then don't do it. I know, joining the pack can be more fun. But does it matter to you when your concerns are undercut with fears and straw-man and ad hominem arguments? Credible engineering evidence and a mind open enough to experiment makes a position stronger in my opinion. But who am I? I've only been doing mechancial engineering and modifying and building motorcycles for 4 decades.

I'm not trying to use fear to make money on you all. I too could harp on clutches lasting longer and make buck. I too can make your clutch pull harder than stock and convince you that is good. But I'd be doing you a functional and certainly monetary disfavor. This is a good forum with lots of good folks. I think it would be a better forum, however, with more solid arguments and fewer fears and personal attacks. But that's just me.

Don't get me wrong. I completely support anyone's freedom to act up here, well or foolishly. Along with the freedom of speech, however, is freedom of association.

This forum belongs to you. What do you want to make of it?

Last edited by Einfahrt; 02-12-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stroker331
I messed about with the 'take out some springs' clutch and it was a dismal failure. Long tight woods sections had it slipping in a relatively short time. This was on a yz426 which I rode slower and less aggressively than my klx. A lubed, fresh cable with a PEP lever was all I needed on both machines.
Aha thank you! You are a brave man. You tried it on the YZ.

Like so many things, however, it depends. It's not about the number, it's about the particular bike design... about net clutch spring force relative to power and torque and many other variables. Unlike the YZ426, the KLX has overkill in net spring force. It's kind of unique in that way. The high net force is what makes the pull on the stiff side and the engage/disengage less precise than it can be. It's also why you can get away with losing two and still have no slip.

It's such a fast mod that when I did my experimenting I was able to try two clutch springs and other combinations of springs on hand. Two of course slipped, and other combinations did not work as well overall as simply running 4 of six. Thus, a really slick simple mod.

But who am I to say?

Last edited by Einfahrt; 02-12-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:53 PM
1st Gear Member

The yzf, I knew going in, wasn't going to put up with less springs in the clutch with my riding. It didn't disappoint with a slipping clutch midway thru a tight section....the first tight section. The lack of relative lowend with big mid boost was the culprit. I messed with the clutch on various bikes to help clutchpull long ago and something with moderate power will douche the plates riding aggressively. Of course messing about type riding or DS\trailwork could be fine on some bikes. My klx would not keep the clutch with half stock and half aftermarket stiffer...I noticed the bike running hotter and finally the cluch started going away on full power straights between the trees. I got tired of experimenting(it got costly) and dealt with the other end. My klx puts out much more power than a stocker and the stock clutch was over powered, thus the hinson stuff. I think a stock 300 makes too much power for the clutch. No personal attacks...all was in good fun.
Try doing something about the pull on a kx500

Old 02-13-2011, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

If Einfahrt says it works for him, there is no reason to doubt him. Do you worry about an uneven pressure on the plates? I would imagine that you could replace all them with weaker springs and get the same effect How many hours have you ridden your bike that way? It would be interesting to see what the clutch plates look like now.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:37 AM
1st Gear Member

All interesting.

4 springs instead of 6 would keep the pressure even Its a clutch PLATE. Even the original poster said if it had 5 springs things would be different.

250S is a dual purpose bike, on road and off road.

The original poster is using the bike for a trials bike. Inching along in first gear feathering the clutch climbing over things.

Me, well I have an SF using the bike as a road bike and commuter. I have been driving to work going 62 mph losing speed because of head wind. I go to crank on more throttle and find its already pinned wide open. Next is to shift into 5th to keep up my speed. This was back when it was stock 250. Now its a 350 with bigger carb etc. I need all the clutch that came with the bike maybe more.

SO Einfahrt your mod is not good for me, but maybe others.

David

Quick Reply: Big Clutch Improvement - 10 mins. 0 Dollars