Big Clutch Improvement - 10 mins. 0 Dollars

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I think what Einfart is saying is that if you were seeing clutch slip on the stuck clutch, the problem is likely that your cable to lever adjustment is off and the clutch is partially engaged when the lever is fully released. Need to adjust the cable slack adjustment to have more slack.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LongmontKLXr
Mr. maninthesea,

I see you avid fisherman and smart consumer.

I just produce amazing new line of High Definition rods, reels, spinner lures, spearguns and spears. Guarantee increase number and size fish you catch or refund 100% of your money (less Shipping, Handling, Import/Export Taxes, Bribes).

But wait, even better. Since you a KLX forum member, order TODAY and I include lifetime supply of Sham-Wow's (as seen on TV and YouTube) absolutely free. That alone over $500 value, no cost to you! What a deal, how can you not order!
Dear Sir
I saw your product on your most excelent website. I would like to purchase 2 packages and pay by credit card. I must ask do your good company ship to indonesia even though the billing address on my card is in Iowa?
With highest regards
Richard Crainium

Old 03-07-2010, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
I think what Einfart is saying is that if you were seeing clutch slip on the stuck clutch, the problem is likely that your cable to lever adjustment is off and the clutch is partially engaged when the lever is fully released. Need to adjust the cable slack adjustment to have more slack.
Yeah... what NOBRAKES said!

Old 03-07-2010, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CousinLarry
waaaat. No, I like it tight meaning that if I have the lever pulled in and the clutch is disengaged, I want like a half a centimeter of release before the clutch is fully engaged.

So what I'm saying is four springs will be too soft and mushy for me. I'd like my full six please, and make them tight.
My current 4-spring setup has a substantial amount of lever slop between lever full out and when the clutch lever starts to tension the cable. Then I can fully disengage with no drag with the lever about a cm from the grip. With 6 springs I had to reduce the play and at a cm from the grip the clutch - on my bike anyway - would still drag. Irritating.

When I return from working in Michigan I'll take some videos of these details including the bike in action, and post links here.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member

To close out this thread, it is solidly proven, four clutch springs, that is. This last weekend I rode in the Rideok.com Urban Assult event. Lots of crazy stuff deep in the city. A bunch of high horsepower, clutch slipping tricks like attacking vertical steps. Lots of wheelies and slides and hard acceleration. I was able to do a bunch of trials tricks only because I had precise one-finger clutch control. Predictable engagement and zer drag.

Zero slipping lever out, despite this being a very good running 330!

I had a camera trained on me a bunch, providing skills entertainment. Had one fellow ask about the motor. Is that stock? Nope. Pretty obvious there was significantly more power. And yet... somehow... mysteriously... nothing blew up... And I'd be surprised if even one of you fine people tried this easy mod <sigh>.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Very nice riding Einfahrt! You have some great skills and ideas, IMHO you just need to work on your delivery.
Dan
Rideok.com Urban Assult vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOnuv...layer_embedded

Old 04-14-2010, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing, I might try it this summer.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Einfahrt
And I'd be surprised if even one of you fine people tried this easy mod <sigh>.
When the clutch on my bike grabs perfectly crisp and tight, and I can feather it like a champ - I see no reason to make it mushier. Just my opinion.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Very nice riding Einfahrt! You have some great skills and ideas, IMHO you just need to work on your delivery.
Dan
Rideok.com Urban Assult vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOnuv...layer_embedded
Dan:

Were you there at the ride? Yup, I saw James' video last night. It was fun to watch. It was disappointing, however, as there is almost nothing in the vid of what I've been mentioning in this forum. The vid contained me goofing up once on a loading dock and going up over the stairs once. That's it.

I was in another other group where the riders were not bold at all. The leader, following the GPS route, kept passing up all the cool mongo stuff. I was getting in what I could before the group rode off. When our two groups would merge and I'd see some action, I'd get all puppy happy and zoom in to ride. Since most folks were just sitting and watching, I figured it'd be fine to intrude.

About working on delivery, I'm all ears. I'm apparently not being effective in this venue and keep getting misunderstood about what I'm trying to communicate. Perhaps it's my engineer's take-it-or-leave-it approach? A lack of warm and fuzzy? Or is it that generational problem of thinking in paragraphs? Again, I'm all ears.

Last edited by Einfahrt; 04-14-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Quick Reply: Big Clutch Improvement - 10 mins. 0 Dollars