Best brand of Bark Busters?

Old 03-14-2019, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Best brand of Bark Busters?

Curious if there's an overall favorite brand of bark busters amongst this group?

I need to get some for my 06. Price is not necessarily an object (within reason of course). Quality is what I'm after. I intend to ride my KLX into some truly remote locations solo, where I'll be miles and miles from nowhere. And I don't want broken controls as a result of a tumble to ruin a good trip.

Advice and opinions welcome.

Thanks.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I have Barkbusters on one bike, cheap eBay on another and Tusk D-Flex Pro on a third.
The Tusk are the nicest IMO.
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...o-handguards-p

Craig

Old 03-14-2019, 10:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Great input, thanks. I've been waiting to pull the trigger on a set of Tusk and this may be the tipping point I need to actually get it ordered.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:01 AM
1st Gear Member

This is what I've used and crashed with for about 6 years now...
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...mx-mount-kit-p

Old 03-15-2019, 11:50 AM
1st Gear Member

One more note - although I haven't used them, the guards form Highway Dirt Bikes look to be the strongest I have seen, but a little $$$.

https://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/ind...ow&ref=HDB-100

Whatever you get, you can improve the rigidity of the mount by tapping and screwing in a threaded handlebar insert - Rocky Mountain has these and it's a 10 min. job. I think they only work on aluminum bars, but if you have the stock steel ones, you will want to replace those anyway as they are very weak.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Great piece of advice, thank you.

The bars on there now are stock, and I'm aware of their shortcomings in terms of strength. Seems like now would be a good time to make the switch.

Similar to this thread title, is there a generally accepted "best handle bar" I should be looking for? I've seen Renthal are widely mentioned. Acknowledge that bars are likely to be much more an individual decision relative to bark busters: height, width, bend, diameter, etc. But any advice or suggestions are much appreciated.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:25 PM
1st Gear Member

I used Renthal CR High Bend, but many brands are good.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi Forest,
Looks like you're close to being my neighbor.
I picked up some less expensive Tusk brand handlebars for the KLX and have been happy. Also installed their glue on grip heaters. Warm hands are a blessing!
Running Rox 2" adjustable risers.
I also started with the Tusk hand guards, but upgraded to Barkbusters and put the Tusk units onto the KLR.

Stop by a dirt bike shop and check out what they have for handlebars. Find something that feels relaxed and comfortable. I like the guys at MotoOne (Orchard in Boise, new shop in Nampa). I picked up some protaper from them for another bike.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

The strongest full wrap around aluminum hand guards are the highway dirt bikes ones. I have them on my klx.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:08 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

i can vouch for the highway dirtbike guards too. with them and the rear cyclerack, the bike is nearly indestructible... there is an option to get builtin side mirrors for the highways that fold in when the going gets rough

Last edited by drm; 03-17-2019 at 03:34 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best brand of Bark Busters?