Best Bang for the Buck Performance Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Anthony LaGrasta
YIKES! I seriously have hundreds, maybe a thousand miles at over 8k! I ride 20 freeway miles each way to work, WOT. I need to stay off the freeway, and stick to dirt paths.
I wouldn't cruise at 80+ on this bike anyway but to each his own...

I'm not saying your motor is going to explode, the 250 powerplant is extremely durable, but i can almost guarantee 8k+ rpm for thousands of miles was not part of this engines design goals, it will certainly last longer at lower rpm

Old 05-26-2017, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

The bike only has 1,800 miles total, but many were on the freeway. I've only changed the oil only once, at 600 miles. As everyone advises motorcyclist, I'll try to slow down.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi Guys,
My first post as new to this forum.
I have a klx250S made in Japan in 2011. Not sure yet if it is restricted as yet to try out on highway. I can barely manage to pull an unassisted wheelie in first gear on a moderate uphill road.
My main interest is off road, so I want to get a 13T front sprocket and a 48T rear sprocket, that should greatly assist the low speed ability. I am using standard 520 "O" ring Chain. Can anybody guide me to an online supplier who can ship the sprockets?

Oh yes I live in Penang Malaysia and am retired and would appreciate if there are any guys interested in off road in Malaysia

Many Thanks in advance

Philip

Old 05-30-2017, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

There are tons of guys in SE Asia who ride off road, I would suggest looking at YouTube, lots of moto bloggers in that area, I would also look at advrider forums for the same.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Spent yesterday off road, love the new sprocket/gearing. Mission accomplished! I seriously will not be making any other "performance" upgrades, there is just no need.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, gotta hand it to you - you are consistent.. The antithesis viewpoint toward stock KLX power levels.. Nice to have you here..

Old 05-30-2017, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

As they keep saying about our current President, I'm pragmatic. It just makes too much sense to not just change gearing to attain the extra grunt were after instead of all the rest. $10, done.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi Philip - sent you a PM.

For my mods so far, individually they have each made a little difference but have added up to quite a reasonable improvement for not much cost.

13T CS (yes higher revs at highway speed but I got this bike for off road so...)
KDX200 snorkel (running without was noisy)
O2 eliminator
Taking out the rev limitor connector from the clutch (made a surprising difference, not just because it didn't go over 8.5k RPM before, but seems to be a bit more 'free reving' now)

For the sprocket, snorkel and O2 eliminator, I had to order from overseas as nothing here (but apparently they make sprockets over on the mainland so maybe possible)

Last edited by Mike Skinner; 05-31-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Looking at the KDX220 Snorkel, I have an idea that I want to run by those more knowledgeable.

How about if i just shortened the KLX snorkel by hacksaw to the same length as the KDX.

I know that the actual air intake is somewhat wider on the KDX but would a shorter length above the air-box aid breathing??Surely there would be less air friction with a shorter inlet?
Not as radical as removing completely the snorkel, or running w/o the lid.

By the way what is the supposed function of the snorkel as the air intake is only a few mm above the level of the lid?
Just a thought

Philip

Old 05-31-2017, 07:17 AM
1st Gear Member

The KDX snorkel is easily twice the intake area as the KLX one. I prefer it as opposed to just removing the original as the KLX has a pretty noisy intake.

14073-1577 DUCT,INLET

With shipping to Penang, was about USD$33

Quick Reply: Best Bang for the Buck Performance Upgrade