Beefier Binders

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 01:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Beefier Binders

If you are satisfied with the stock brakes on your KLX, don't waste your time reading this.

If you would like a very noticeable improvement in stopping power,read-on.

I was at the dealer yesterday picking-up new boots and two new side covers, so I can switch to my old, scratched-up ones when I tour with saddle bags..

Anyway, I noticed a wave rotor kit for the the D-tracker/KLX250 hanging on his wall that costs over $400.00. We started discussing various alternatives, when I suddenly remembered that his D-tracker has much better stopping power than mine and asked him why. He told me that he installed a rotor, master cylinder and teflon brake line from a KX250 and said it was a direct bolt-on. The improvement in stopping power is definitely noticeable. He said all of the parts -if bought new- would cost about $250.00 which is not cheap but is a decent savings when compared to most aftermarket kits.

Just thought I would share that.... 'Thatis all'

Last edited by tremor38; 05-14-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Beefier Binders

Good info. I'm sure it would be beneficial to anyone running street or street biased tires.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 08-28-2007, 04:10 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

would they beas reliable and long lasting as the stock stuff?

Old 08-28-2007, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Can you give us anymore specifics? For example, what model years that will work, and whether it's the 2-stroke KX250 or the 4-stroke KX250F.

You said he installed a rotor, master cylinder, and a teflon brake line.Are the stock caliper and pads re-used?

Old 08-29-2007, 01:46 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang

Can you give us anymore specifics? For example, what model years that will work, and whether it's the 2-stroke KX250 or the 4-stroke KX250F.

You said he installed a rotor, master cylinder, and a Teflon brake line.Are the stock caliper and pads re-used?
He is very thorough and attentive to small details, so if he changed anything other than the parts I mentioned he would have said so. The KX rotor is the same diameter and thickness as the one on the KLX, so the caliper and pads don't need to be changed. The KX master cylinder has a larger working area on its piston and the rotor is physically different somehow, but my Japanese isn't technical enough to pick-up what he said. It is the KX250(2-stroke) not the 250F. As for the model years, I will ask him.

As for the question about reliability, I can't tell you for sure, but all I knowis that he has had no issues with them on the semi-pro motard circuit here in Japan... and they get punished.

Last edited by tremor38; 05-14-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

guys look up the various year parts on bike bandit.com . I did and most parts from the 88- 00 kx 250/500 are bolt on parts for our klx bikes.I'm also going to add the brake kit from a kx500 to my klx which i already specced out but have not had the dough to buy as i've been laid up with a broken foot recently.........but yeah....all those parts should bolt right on.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

What did you do to your foot truckman. Hopefully you didn't crash the kawi. When you get better we have to do some riding...So I don't get accused of thread jacking I'll add that the brake upgrade looks good. LOL

Old 08-31-2007, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Has anybody done this brake upgrade? How would you describe the performance of this setup versus the stock one? Is it $250 well spent?

Thanks!