BB kit for $143

Old 07-13-2017, 11:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Think, you're trusting everything else there that is Chinese and now you don't trust a spring clip? If you trust the piston rings why not the clips?

If you must, compare the size to the OEM clip then buy the clips from Kawasaki. They will be under $2 each, no shipping if you buy from a dealership. The same clip is used on so many Kawasakis that there is a good chance they have them in stock. Why use old ones.

Heck, if you called a dealership and they had them you could probably have them tape them to a business card and mail them, paying by credit card over the phone.

Last edited by klx678; 07-13-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:37 PM

That is because I read in this thread that the clips seemed soft compared to the originals. The pistonrings seemed to be fine according to another member here.
I will check with my local dealer and buy new clips.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member

following thread.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Updates with pics please.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:26 PM
geo
1st Gear Member

About 700 km now (riding has been limited by heavy smoke at times up here) and ring seal is taking hold (broke it in softly on the road 'cause it's Chinese lol) meaning torque is still building.

This is no longevity report. Hopefully a good fall season will put on bigger numbers because I intend to take it apart in the winter to measure things again, clean up the head, build a header-exhaust and maybe a carb if it falls in my lap.
Being a little **** and cheap about this bike 'cause it's a keeper and I never want to say
"I could of bought a KTM" lol.

In my side by side comparisons with a good running '09 with a lighter rider; drag race when we hit pavement on the ride home is mine now (wasn't before), lol; freely revs to 10,000r's in the first 5 gears; roll on in 6th is unfair and shows the torque increase; in the hills the low end power is strong enough to use 3000 rpm with confidence on a slope; it will now carry the front wheel uphill in second at part throttle with a good tire.

Dropped the main one and turned in the fuel screw a bit from my best 250 set-up. plan on a clip drop when the heat leaves.
Plug chops in the field are difficult on this bike but it's always worth it just to know for sure.
That's all I will say about jetting.

All in all it was more of an improvement than I expected from 40 cc's with a lower compression ratio which makes me wonder now, if my 250 was low on compression for some reason to begin with.
250 barrel did show some overheat scuffing (not bad though) in the lower half but I never checked compression because my Snap On set didn't have an adapter small enough. Me bad.

Coming from a 86.98% dirt rider. Suspension and chassis set-up, gearing, tires and then this kit, in that order, has put a big grin on my face when riding with those orange things that come with it all stock.
And so far at way less than 1/2 price going used to used as a comparison. That's priceless for me as I hate working now lol which means I'm old enough to not care about pics.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:34 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

You mention lower compression. What do they claim for your kit?

Old 07-24-2017, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Were there any issues or gotchas with that lower tensioner bolt? Any other useful info for installation?

Old 07-24-2017, 06:13 PM

I received my kit the other day and it looks very good. I am thinking about buying an original 300cc piston, I don't want to lower the compression.
Will post some pics soon.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Could you take a picture of the rear of the cylinder next to the OEM KLX250S rear cylinder along with whatever else you photograph?

Old 07-24-2017, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Are these cylinders plated or steel? Might be a consideration in using a OEM KLX300R piston / ring set. The OEM 300 cylinder is plated with rings to match.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BB kit for $143