BB 331 install, head gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 02:06 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Well, you already liked your KLX, and now you're going to love it. Refresh my memory...did you go with a liner cylinder or the plated version? Are you going to do an easy break-in or a mototune style break-in? Especially in an already broken-in engine, I think the piston, rings, and cylinder do better with the mototune version. On those oil pipe seals, I don't think there's any issue in reusing them. I'm sure they have some magic number in how many times you can reuse them, but once isn't a problem.

The fact that you actually got the engine running again just proves one thing according to that old saying. Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 11-11-2010, 09:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Refresh my memory...did you go with a liner cylinder or the plated version? Are you going to do an easy break-in or a mototune style break-in?

The fact that you actually got the engine running again just proves one thing according to that old saying. Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.
I went with the Bill Blue Largest Dry Sleeve. I tend toward the Moto-tune theory, especially when it comes to seating rings. I have 12 miles on the new pieces, and I've already had it up to 7000 rpms.

Another appropriate old saying: Better to be lucky than good!

Update: it was a little "poppy" on deceleration, so, instead of putting in a 38 Pilot Jet, I tried turning the air/fuel screw from 1.5 turns out to 2, then 2.5, and finally 3 turns. Popping is ALMOST completely resolved. I think I'll just run it like this!

Oh, and it REALLY surprised me in third gear over a whoop today...front end came up, back tire stayed on the ground on the backside of the whoop, and it darn near looped over on me. WOW...this thing has some real power-to-weight ratio going now! And, it can go over 80 mph into the wind! Yee-haw....

It does run out of breath somewhere above 8000 rpms, but, it's really strong where I usually run it, about 4-6000 rpm. There's a very long, steep sandy climb that I've never been able to get more than 2/3 of the way up. Today, I made it to the top. Power is a good thing!

(I think it was the bloody chicken foot that got this magically running...)

Last edited by Blackheart58; 11-14-2010 at 03:49 AM.