Battery reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Battery froze?

I realize this thread is about as enticing as an oil or tire thread. My battery is due for replacement and I've made a couple of largely fruitless searches here and there looking specifically for a battery that is freeze resistant. The best I've been able to find is that "absorbent glass mat" batteries fit the bill in this regard, and are spil proof as well.

I keep my bike in a storage shed with no power and no way to rig a trickle charger. I've started it a couple of mornings after a frost, and it will turn over very slowly, and when it starts, I notice that both trip odometers have reset to zero, and the clock says 1:00. I'm guessing the electrolyte froze up during the night, and the voltage dropped to near zero at some point.

Anyone have a brand they are happy with? A full size type that will run the bike and my Tourmaster vest, not a light racing type battery. Thanks.

Last edited by sanpedro; 01-12-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member

If I were you, I would remove the battery from the bike and keep it in a heated place, with a trickle charger on it.

Just a suggestion...

Old 01-14-2011, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RayCour
If I were you, I would remove the battery from the bike and keep it in a heated place, with a trickle charger on it.

Just a suggestion...
+1
The way you're doing it now will drastically shorten the life of the battery. A fully charged battery can withstand cold until it self-discharges to point of freezing.

Last edited by ol'klx-er; 01-14-2011 at 03:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-14-2011, 05:36 AM
1st Gear Member

You should try a CV4 Battery they are lithium 1/3 the wieght twice the power!!!!! you can get them with traditional hookups or a quick connect system. these batteries are made for bikes!!

Ken

Old 01-14-2011, 02:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
+1
The way you're doing it now will drastically shorten the life of the battery. A fully charged battery can withstand cold until it self-discharges to point of freezing.
+2, if you're not going to ride in the winter then yank the battery out and keep it on a trickle charge. If you don't keep it charged, these batteries are small and will discharge fairly quickly in the winter. Most of these AGM type batteries aren't recommended for an equalize charge either since they are sealed so once they go too far dead, there is no coming back and you will be forced to buy a new one. You will be better off either starting the bike weekly and charging it via the bike, or buying a battery tender and keeping it topped off.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, my winter charging regimen usually consists of taking the bike out for a spin every week or two, just locally. But the last six weeks, we've had a lack of good riding days and a lot of cold nights and the bike has sat more than usual.

I might try running an extention cord out to the shed for a trickle charger. I hadn't heard about the lithium batteries, I'll give them a look.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Take a look at this-
http://www.turntechbattery.com/TurnT...y/Welcome.html

I have the large one on my ktm 450-
what I like about it- it does not loose charge sitting around. I have it about 1 year now. Also saved about 2-3 lbs over stock battery. for a 250 the small one would be ok. But with out a kick started maybe I would get the big one.

Old 01-16-2011, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member

The stock battery on the klx needs no trickle charge over the winter. I have left mine on the bike every winter since 07 with temps averaging -20 to -45C. After the 4-5moths of winter the bike fires right up with very little or no frustration. if you are having problems maybe your battery has suffered some damage or there is a short draining the battery. most batterys get thier output ratings in cold cranking amps. the battery should remain close to a full charge until you hit the freezing point of the electrolite in the battery (water & sulphuric acid if I remember correctly. just my .02!!

Ken

Old 01-16-2011, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member

daveg those arre the same type as the cv4 batteries lithium these types of batteries are faaaaaaaaaaaar superior to convential batteries. I want to put them on both my bikes. been using lithium in R/C for many years now!

Ken

Old 01-16-2011, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I am also considering switching to a CV4 or TurnTech battery. They look so good, I was telling to myself there must be some hidden negative facts.
I was worried about reliability, particularly at low temps, but it looks like there are enough positive testimonials now.

So, is it true there is no downside at all?

Quick Reply: Battery reccomendations